Keep trying...

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Bucko
Power user

Keep trying...

Post by Bucko »

Hiya. I thought I solved my headach, I dunno maybe this is a bug?

I have an Xbox set up as follows...

Xbox Version 1.1
Executer 2.1 Lite
X4980.67 and Gentoox Bios
160GB Drive

Before this it was X4979.03 and I thought my problem of moving Gentoox to f:\ was because I was over 137GB on F:\ and that Gentoox did not like it and loved it self to E:\.

So today I reformatted my whole gobsmakingly system (yes that’s 160GB) to X4980.67 standard still retaining the gentoox bios.

Now I have installed Gentoox straight to F:\ via stardust on the Gentoox bios. Now when I boot up it gives me this really annoying message every time I try and boot from F:\. It says...
Kernel Panic: Attempt to kill init
among a few other error messages above.

I'm guess it's because of my rather large drive, though it's retaining LBA28 because I'm using a partition 6 and 7 set-up!!! So why isn't it working?

Has anyone EVER got GENTOOX to boot of F:\!!!

I need to do this because I want to test out XEBIEN on E:\ and with both distro’s and all my apps installed on E:\ the space goes down to 0 LOL. SO please help me, it should work as it's LBA28!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Bucko wrote:Now when I boot up it gives me this really annoying message every time I try and boot from F:\. It says...
Quote:
Kernel Panic: Attempt to kill init
among a few other error messages above.
The other error messages above would be more useful
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
warduke

Post by warduke »

i got part of E and the root on F. no problems. 120gig drive
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

OK ill post them tomorrow. Though it has always happened every time I installed to F:\, also I run the magic script once and that didn't work. It just seems to be all hardcoded to E:\ when clearly I want it on F:\ :(.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh, magic isnt hardcoded to E: .. not entirely, the kernel is ALWAYS installed to E:\ no matter what, which is why if you look in the kernel*.b0x files it just has export drive="e". It got to be too much of a problem having dynamic kernel positions so all that gets installed to F: is swap and rootfs. There is a problem with drives >137GB even if you do leave F as lba24. You simply cannot have a G partition or a large F partition, it wont work afaik.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Great, that’s all I need to read at college :(. Well I have been itching to try out xebien (that’s spelt like that aint it) for a while now. I would love to dual boot gentoox. Though it would be cool to have it on F:\. I think shallax you should either have some scripting support to disable this magic script with people who have a drive larger than 137GB. This should also apply to stardust, or even better, just a question to ask whether you have a drive bigger than 137GB and if selected yes then the install will terminate giving you a warning as to why it did terminate.

Once you have done that I would love to see gradual support over to F:\ on big fat drives. Either way this will probably mean ill have to dump gentoox or buy another Xbox, because I love Gentoo.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Or you could just install to E and stop whining.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Though if I have both distros on E:\ the space goes down to a silly 0 or very small amount of space because of my apps.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

There is absolutely no point at all having both distros.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Yer I know there is no point, I'm just doing it for the hell of it. And to use up some space on my 160GB drive, that wasn't the point of this thread, I wanted to try and get gentoox up and running on F:\ but seems I can't do that for definate now :(.