access permission al folders

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
roadrash
Pro

access permission al folders

Post by roadrash »

I know you dont think it a good idea to give all users, (gentoox & other local networked xboxes & my pc) the same permission as "root" but its driving me mad not to be easy to save data to anywhere I like.
I dont think hacking is gonna be a problem cos the xboxes will only be used for non important stuff and web browsing so theres nothing worth hacking and i can of course just reset the permission levels once finished.
can you tell me what i need to do to to give user "gentoox" the highest unrestricted access that i beleive the user "root" has?
kvandivo

Re: access permission al folders

Post by kvandivo »

roadrash wrote:I know you dont think it a good idea to give all users, (gentoox & other local networked xboxes & my pc) the same permission as "root" but its driving me mad not to be easy to save data to anywhere I like.
I dont think hacking is gonna be a problem cos the xboxes will only be used for non important stuff and web browsing so theres nothing worth hacking and i can of course just reset the permission levels once finished.
can you tell me what i need to do to to give user "gentoox" the highest unrestricted access that i beleive the user "root" has?
while there are many reasons that you don't want to do everything as 'root' and you shouldn't be dropping files "whereever you like", if you really wish to do so, the easiest way is to rerun 'magic'. shallax recently added sudo to the default setup, and it will do what you want. that way, you can do all those cool root things like

sudo rm -rf /lib

etc..

(don't do that, btw)

basically, try a command; if it doesn't work due to permission problems, try it again with a 'sudo' in front. be careful, though. i could argue that permissions are there more for you to protect yourself from yourself than to protect you from others.
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

more for you to protect yourself from yourself than to protect you from others.
As someone who ran a box as nothing but root for ~1yr I couldn't agree more. You'll screw your system with a typo that you didn't even notice ;) I think it's a combination of the two that'll get you for sure in time. It seems counter-intuitive, but the more you use *nix the less often you'll use your root user. Although this is probably the last thing you want to hear, you're going to have a tough time finding someone to help you do this. It's kind of like trying to find a mechanic that will remove your airbags and seatbelts because you don't want them :) To sum it up in a sentence, it's just not the way *nix works. Things get alot easier once you accept that, you won't even notice su'ing or adding sudo before your command... Now that I've probably irritated you I'll lay off! Maybe you should look into /etc/group , you can safely (fairly) give a user some liberties here, but as for file-permissions I can't help you. Maybe man chmod or man chown would though... (really sorry to RTFM you ;) )
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

thats ok scocou i can see where your comming from man. ive been in computers for years so nothing frightens me and i'm used to being the systems master not the other way round. anyway, Its ok I have now managed to get full access to the system via a pc i have networked to the xboxes. now if i want to save something in a place that gentoox wont give me permission to i can.