Ok this is getting rediculous!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
eykster
Novice

Ok this is getting rediculous!

Post by eykster »

Wow, I've been more then patient so far but NOW I'm getting angry. After I broke my local.start and local.stop files with etc-update, I decided to start over from scratch.

So I started with a fresh install of Gentoox Pro. After the magic updates which included an install of Xfree86, the keyboard, mplayer etc I decided to try to install apache.

It once again told me about the ExtUtils-MakeMaker conflict with apache. So like a good gentoox user I hit the forums and someone told me to do a etc-update AND to ensure I didn't delete the list of files located in the tutorials section. So I went through the etc-update and didn't update the ones that I wasn't supposed to.

I also ran magic fix nvnet && magic && xbvset

Then it rebooted and now I can't do (sorry my french) crap!

It doesn't load half the stuff it used to, gives me several modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/BOOT errors and I can no longer SSH into the xbox... for the love of god someone give me a straight answer (step by step) to how I would go about installing apache because the tutorial doesn't even come close to having all the necessary information.

WOW I'm mad as hell that I have to start from scratch again, because I didn't update a single one of the files I wasn't supposed to and it's still not working correctly at bootup.

eyk
-if you don't like my fire then don't come around cause i'm gonna burn one down-
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Would I be right in thinking you have run emerge -u world before your etc-update

The problem is that the list of files not to change is good but not complete one obvious omission is fstab, but there are several more. That's why it says

"AND Anything else YOU have personalised and feel should remain unchanged. Use your common sense here. "

If I was going to install apache I would probably just unmerge ExtUtils-MakeMaker before I started.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Correct.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

hey shallax maybe you should make a magic script for apache :) a lot of users (new ones mainly) are having problems emerging it properly
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
Craxx
Novice

Post by Craxx »

or better. A magic world update script. If it is possible???

best regards
Craxx;)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Dude, im not here to hold peoples hands through everything :o
Craxx
Novice

Post by Craxx »

not through everything, only over the world:)

best regards
Craxx;)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I don't suppose you can really have a magic world script. If there was then you would have a similar thing in regular gentoo. The thing is that different people have different config files in /etc depending on what you have installed. So a script wouldn't be able to tell which files to update and which ones not to. The only real definites are on the list everything else varys from install to install.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats what i was thinking.. but then i thought.. i could delete all of the new configs (ones which shouldnt be installed) from /etc/ automatically...
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

thats the spirit :)
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!