I'm a total newbie - can someone tell me what XFree is?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
jaguar23

I'm a total newbie - can someone tell me what XFree is?

Post by jaguar23 »

I was looking through the tutorial which talked about installing Gentoox on Windows 98. It said to use XFree. I don't know what this is or where I can get it from. Can someone help a newbie out?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

http://software.freshmeat.net/search/?q ... n=projects

use the resources available to you! :wink:
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
Rickz0rz
Novice

Post by Rickz0rz »

Fuz: That explanation sucked. ;)

Quoted from http://www.xfree86.org/#whatis
What is XFree86?

The XFree86 Project, Inc is the organisation which produces XFree86™, a freely redistributable open-source implementation of X11 or the X Window System. XFree86 runs primarily on UNIX® and UNIX-like operating systems such as Linux, all of the BSD variants, Sun Solaris x86, Mac OS X (via Darwin), as well as other platforms like OS/2 and Cygwin.

XFree86, provides a client/server interface between display hardware (the mouse, keyboard, and video displays) and the desktop environment while also providing both the windowing infrastructure and a standardized application interface (API). XFree86 is platform-independent, network-transparent and extensible.

The goals and purpose of XFree86 are detailed in our Mission Statement.
And I'm not sure about that whole Gentoo-X on Windows 98 thing. Did you mean dualbooting Gentoo with Windows 98?
(>'.')>
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

rICKZ@RZ: eat crap :wink: i just want people to search out their own answers prior to asking.. its reverse googleology to post before looking yourself :P
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!