USB hubs

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Rickz0rz
Novice

USB hubs

Post by Rickz0rz »

I finally got around to getting a USB to Xbox adapter. I only bought one, believing that I could hook up a USB hub to it, and when I'm not using the xbox, use that USB hub elsewhere. Now, is this possible, to use a USB hub on the xbox, and if so, should it be self powered?
(>'.')>
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

a usb hub must have an external power supply.. usb will only supply 5v and that is not enough power for a hub of usb

i have not tested usb hubs yet but i assum being as its Universal Serial Bus as the name suggests it should just automatically map... check the linux usb project i think its linux-usb.org or similair (try google) but i cant see it being a problem

errr rtfm
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Yep a hub works fine. I have a Belkin 4 port hub.

I use 1 port for a keyboard, 1 for a mouse & 1 for a web cam. I do not use an external power supply.

Works great.

Xboxgeek
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

fuz wrote:a usb hub must have an external power supply.. usb will only supply 5v and that is not enough power for a hub of usb
This is rubbish USB is designed to have self powered hubs, it is part of the spec. You only need powered hubs if you are chaining hubs together or if you are running high power devices such as scanners or digital cameras, disk drives etc. off of the hub itself. Mice, keyboards, webcams or any device with it's own power supply are fine on a self powered hub.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

thats a world gone topsy turvy :) all the hubs ive seen have external power.. maybe its just australia being behind or me not being observant..

eh.. my bad
enf65
Linux User

there is always an external power...

Post by enf65 »

HUBS are always sold with an external power, even is it's not always needed. It is the same for USB devices which need more power. My USB harddrive works well without external power if I plug it directly into the xbox, but I must use it if I plug the hd into a hub.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Re: there is always an external power...

Post by nobspangle »

enf65 wrote:HUBS are always sold with an external power
This isn't true either just as an example here is a USB hub that is sold without a power supply and has no way of being powered bar over the USB port http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=169Q
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

well i am now an enlightened citizen