Problems with X11 forwarding...

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Zombie13
Linux User

Problems with X11 forwarding...

Post by Zombie13 »

I'm having problems with X11 forwarding...

I'm using GentooX v3.0a and Cygwin (from a Win2K PC, following the tutorial from http://www.xbox-scene.com - "Tunneling a remote X session through SSH on Win32").

I have my network setting working perfectly, I can ping http://www.yahoo.com etc from GentooX, and I can get a terminal ssh session working. But - when I log in, I get the following message...

"Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding."

If I type "xeyes &" from the root prompt, I get the following error..

"_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/Xbox:10
Error: Can't open display: Xbox:10.0"

Can anyone help me with this? When I had Ed's Debain v0.5.1 installed on my Xbox, I could do this no problem. I know it's probably only a simple thing I'm missing, but I've been searching the web for a couple of days now and can't get it working. :cry:

Cheers to anyone who can help!

Zombie13.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Go into the SSH configuration section of webmin and enable X11 forwarding. It's disabled by default.

You might want to set it to only accept SSH 2.0 while you're in there too!
Zombie13
Linux User

Post by Zombie13 »

Thanks for the reply, Sniper Fox, but I already tried that. Although I have now disabled accepting ssh v1 connections.

I really can't figure this one out. If I were to post my ssh_config or sshd_config would anyone mind taking a look? (I don't wanna just post it without asking due to the size).

Cheers,
Zombie13.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Zombie13 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Sniper Fox, but I already tried that. Although I have now disabled accepting ssh v1 connections.

I really can't figure this one out. If I were to post my ssh_config or sshd_config would anyone mind taking a look? (I don't wanna just post it without asking due to the size).

Cheers,
Zombie13.
Did you reboot / restart SSHd after you made the change? Are your SURE your CLIENT SOFTWARE is correctly configured to forward X? It not on by default in puTTY.
Zombie13
Linux User

Post by Zombie13 »

Thanks again for the reply.

Yep, I've rebooted many times and checked ssh_config and sshd_config again afterwards. I've also selected "Enable X11 forwarding" under Connection > SSH > Tunnels in puTTY. I was originally using Cygwin, but I like puTTY very much.

My Cygwin setup worked perfectly for Ed's Debian, so I think it may be related to something I'm doing wrong in GentooX.

Would you mind posting your ssh_config & sshd_config so can see that at least GentooX is set up right on the Xbox?

Cheers again!
Zombie13.
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

Quoting - http://www.wlug.org.nz/XFree86Notes

IPv6 Support needed

If you have IPv6 enabled X, but your machine doesn't have IPv6 enabled, you might see something like the following error:

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/localhost:10
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

In this particular case I'm doing X11Forwarding from another machine (via ssh -X hostname). Strace confirms this as an IPv6 related bug:

strace xterm
socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM, 0) = -1 EAFNOSUPPORT (Address family not supported by protocol)

loading IPv6 support on the remote machine fixes this.

------- end quote

I found several similar references.

Then I tried: insmod ipv6

:)

Hurray!!! It works.

:)

X on the Xbox without pissing off my wife by monopolizing the TV!

Boing Boing Boing!
Zombie13
Linux User

Post by Zombie13 »

Excellent! I'll give this a try ASAP.

:D