Install failed on F drive - Large HD support - lba48 bios?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
SpiderSense

Install failed on F drive - Large HD support - lba48 bios?

Post by SpiderSense »

My install on F drive fails after first reboot with a kernel panic. I believe the mount process is failing and/or says something about read-only. Gentoox cannot see my F drive.

This started when I first upgraded 2.1 home to the kernel 2.4.22 and 3 attempts thereafter. Install onto E works ok, but I have tons of space on F I'd like to use. "magic f-drive" gave me the same problem. I waited almost two weeks for the 3.0 release and it too failed on F.

At one point, I had upgraded my 120gig HD to a 160gig HD. I reflashed my xecutor bios to support LBA48 with the option "Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive".

Bank two has my linux bios. I have tried many of them and none seem to recognize my HD as more than 137gigs. I believe this is why Gentoox will not recognize my Fatx F partition and causing my problems. Yes?

Is there an cromwell bios that supports drives over 137gigs?
SpiderSense

lba48 support

Post by SpiderSense »

Anyone use a harddrive that is over 137gigs? with F drive taking rest of drive? success with Gentoox F drive install?

I think I need a bios that can recognize a 160gig HD.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

what bios do you have.. the older bios versions where <=137gig
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
SpiderSense

Post by SpiderSense »

fuz, my X2 bios recognizes the 160gig (i xbtooled it), but it is when i run gentoox 3.0 (or 2.1 with new kernel) that i have problems--cromwell 2.27.

this thread explains it ...
viewtopic.php?t=406
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

sorry cant help dude im not running 3.0, i will just emerge world later
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
Terra
Novice

Post by Terra »

Take a look at the following post and see if you can correlate your issue, to the problem I had set out to solve:
viewtopic.php?t=406

~
Terra
~