WinRar for gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
ManReal
Novice

WinRar for gentoox

Post by ManReal »

I wondering if its possible to get a version on winrar installed on Gentoox? I really don't want to use the standard '.zip' that is currently in Gentoox. So what would you recommend I use?
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

This would kind of depend on which window manager you are using, I would suggest:
Xarchiver for XFCE
Karchiver for KDE
File Roller for GNOME

You may well have to emerge some console base archive tools to be able to use more archive types then standard.
I wrote this!
ManReal
Novice

Post by ManReal »

I've got home edition.. how would I check which GUI I'm using?? I'm pretty sure I've disabled the GUI when it asked me upon installation. I'm just using "SSH" to communicate with my Gentoox box right now.

I'm doing this because; it would be really great to be able to create a script that will .rar a bunch of files for me. Apparently, rar compresses at 6 - 30% BETTER than .zip does.
So any ideas on what command I'm to type? I've typed:

Code: Select all

emerge rar
Okay the above 'emerge rar' actually does install something. However, its a Shareware version. when I try

Code: Select all

rar a tmp1.txt" 
// to rar the file

It says.
Xbox test # rar a tmp1.txt

RAR 3.51 Copyright (c) 1993-2005 Alexander Roshal 7 Oct 2005
Shareware version Type RAR -? for help

Evaluation copy. Please register.

ERROR: Bad archive tmp1.txt

SO WHAT WOULD YOU DO in this situation? Is there anyway to get a free version of this on Linux? I've heard linux is a lot better then windows when it comes to free software... so why does this guy want me to register??
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

Just a quick thought could you not use a bzip2 tar archive?
I wrote this!
ManReal
Novice

Post by ManReal »

Yes I'll alright I'll use that.. and Thanks for your help Timmo.
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

ManReal wrote:SO WHAT WOULD YOU DO in this situation? Is there anyway to get a free version of this on Linux? I've heard linux is a lot better then windows when it comes to free software... so why does this guy want me to register??
Open doesn't necesarily mean Free - actually the "free software" term was changed in 1998.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

There is nothing wrong in charging money for software - if it's worth using, it's worth paying for (in many cases). The advantage of the linux community is that there are often FREE (no-cost) alternatives, but not necesarily at the same level of quality.. But then again - sometimes the FREE (no-cost) alternative might even be better..

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu