seriously dumb question

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
AndaleTheGreat

seriously dumb question

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

Ok, I trolled the pages for hours and cannot get a straight answer.
Can I use Gentoox (or any other distro) on my xbox without--
a) Using MechAssault/Splinter Cell/Agent Under Fire?
&
2) Having a modchip?

I believe it's pretty much one or the other, but I can't find an exact yes/no to this point.

Also, what if I have a LOT of trouble getting my xbox to run as is?
I don't know if it's the drive or the bios or the board, but it seems to lose the clock EVERY time it's off (which wouldn't be a big deal, but others have eluded to me that this can happen cuz of a hdd file error) and it gives me a coded error and says contact MS (u know the text, everyone has seen it).

Will this remove the problem ya think?
If I don't have a modchip can I do the 'native' (i think that's the one, the one where it erases everything) install?

It almost seems like Gentoox won't run on it's own, only through the 'softmod' (which is described as less than useful it seems) or on a modchipped system that has an OS of some kind on it already.
Is this correct in any way?

Look, I don't need the game functionality, I know that doesn't really work as it is. I also don't care much about the drive itself, there's nothing i need.

I am just looking for a way to play videos, mostly avi's, on a linux system right now, and I thought "Hey. There's a busted up xbox in the corner there."

sorry 'bout the ramblin'
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

There's a lot of info about softmodding elsewhere on the net.. (search for softmod)

But the answer is (as far as I know..)

-SC:Splinter Cell 1
-007 AUF: 007 Agent under fire
-MA: MechAssault

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu