emerge/portage broken? "ARCH is not set"

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
teitoku
Novice

Post by teitoku »

More like running `magic` makes the system unable to boot because it screws with linuxboot.cfg and replaces it with somebody else's values that don't relate to my installation whatsoever.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

i believe magic forces you to run xbvset before it reboots, so technically you would be setting the values to that get passed to linuxboot.cfg
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hah, indeed. It doesnt replace it with "somebody elses" settings... you provide the settings yourself.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
teitoku
Novice

Post by teitoku »

xbvset, being the video mode settings? What's that got to do with it screwing with the root and init parts of linuxboot.cfg?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

although i dont have a gentoox box in front of me, if you read through xbvset it will show you what the code is doing, i dont think it will edit those parameters.
teitoku
Novice

Post by teitoku »

I dunno, the title="Gentoox" section looks fairly destructive. But even if it's not xbvset, it IS something else.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It learns what you set in the config file and just changes the hoc/voc/driver settings for the video. If you did not have a "Title=Gentoox" to start with, it adds a completely fresh one.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
teitoku
Novice

Post by teitoku »

Alright, so it's another part of the magic script that replaces my linuxboot.cfg with some canned one. It still wouldn't have left my gentoox able to boot.