Benefit of installing on 2nd bank of modchip

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
johnbhoy
Linux User

Benefit of installing on 2nd bank of modchip

Post by johnbhoy »

Have recently installed this wonderful wee o/s on my 1.6 box. I decided to just install it on my e drive and boot it by executing the gentoox xbe when i wanted to load it. Really just wanted to test if first so ruled out a native install.

My question is.. Is there any benefit of installing the bios on the 2nd bank of my executer modchip......Other than fact it would obviously boot straight away when this bank is selected. Are there any other benefits ??

Incidentally. I would also just like to state what a job well done the whole o/s is. I have been putting off installing something like this for ages as i thought it would be quite taxing. It was,however, effortlessly installed and seems to work a treat, (other than the overscan problem... blinking 1.6 box). The fact Samba shares are set up instantly is a major plus. Especially if you are new to Linux.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

unless you have 128mb memory upgrade to your xbox, with your setup, there is no difference to running the xbe vs flashing the .bin
johnbhoy
Linux User

Post by johnbhoy »

Thanks for that.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If you somehow screw up the bios flash then it's only your second bank that's non-functional. That way you can change back to your first bank and still boot to try and reflash.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont think it makes any difference using the xbe or bin even if you have 128mb of RAM.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

ShALLaX wrote:Like i said, use the cromwell bios, the .xbe only supports 64mb.
viewtopic.php?t=18&highlight=128+xbe

?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

The XBE supports 128mb fine.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

thanx ;-)