HOWTO: Fully Native

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sham
Linux User

Post by sham »

I have already seen it, i have used that you write in the tutorial, but i think i have forgot to upload the file :), the line

Code: Select all

errors=remount-ro
makes problems when i boot, when the line is deleted i can normaly boot, is it important?
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

I'll post my question in this thread as I get no answers on the other one.

When I boot the Loader 6.05 I can't select Native, I can only select dvd/cd web boot, and other things exept native.

When I boot with Loader 5.11 it's ok but I'm getting an error with pro v4.0a

Here's ascreenshot of what I get.

And I don't knowif it's related but sometimes when I boot restoox 5.1 I get

Thank you
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Hi, I'll help where I can but I'm no expert.
If you look at your screen shot just before it all goes Pete Tong it says
warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab mount: / not mounted already or bad option
pound to a pinch of s*it this is your problem.
You must have typed something wrong in your fstab,
Either type the root password then #nano /etc/fstab and correct the error or take another picture.
Either get Resctoox working (probably a shitty CD-RW) and ssh in and swap the fstab file for the one available for download in the tutorial.
Or, reinstall the f**ker ;0)

If its just that your file system is corrupt in some way I don't think you can fsck it as I think this was removed because its not FATX compatible, but don't quote me on this ask shallax.

Hope this helps
Last edited by cheesyboofs on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

SORRY DUPLICATE POST DUE TO FORUM DEBUG ERROR, MOD PLEASE DELETE.
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

Hi, I double checked my fstab and it's the same as the one on the link you told me exept for those 3 lines

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system>         <mount point>   <type>          <options>                               <dump>  <pass>
I already try to reformat everything and follow the tutorial from the beginning.

Thank you for your help
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

R0Bzombie wrote:exept for those 3 lines
Dude it must be the same in order that we have a consistent starting point.
If you look a few topics down you will see GeniuX is having the same trouble. Untill I try it myself I can not really be of much more help. I'm sure it is something simple but untill I can free up an xbox to try you two are on your own.

Sorry.
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

Hi cheesyboofs, you should update your tutorial.
With gentoox pro 4.0 (I don't know about home) we have to put this in the fstab.

#
# <file system>         <mount point>   <type>          <options>                               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda1			none		    swap		  sw							0	  0
/dev/hda2               /               reiserfs        notail              0       1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                                0       0
Thank you
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
popy
Linux User

Gentoox Loader v6.05 - FULL NATIVE SUPPORT???

Post by popy »

Hey Guys.

I have XBOX with Loader 5.11 & FULL Native Installation on a 120GB HDD.

THX for the TUT :D

Have anyone tried to run a FULL NATIVE Installation with the Loader 6.05??? Does it works?? Does you see the Icon on Boot?

Because the other v6 Loaders (6.01 - 6.04) does not support this feature (it doesnt show the Icon!!)

Greets pOPY
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

R0Bzombie wrote:Hi cheesyboofs, you should update your tutorial.
With gentoox pro 4.0 (I don't know about home) we have to put this in the fstab.

#
/dev/hda2               /               reiserfs        notail              0       1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                                0       0
Thank you

Nice one R0Bzombie, Works like a charm on Home 6.0a also.

Yippie - got me toy back.

bLiGhTy.
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
R0Bzombie
Novice

Post by R0Bzombie »

blighty wrote:
R0Bzombie wrote:Hi cheesyboofs, you should update your tutorial.

#
Thank you

Nice one R0Bzombie, Works like a charm on Home 6.0a also.

Yippie - got me toy back.

bLiGhTy.
This code was given by Shallax, I take no credits
My linux only Xbox:
V1.0
CheapMod
160gig hdd
128mb Ram
blighty
Adept

Post by blighty »

Upgrading to home 6.1 as I type this

had no luck with 6.0a unfortunatley.

seemed to work ok untill I emerged limewire, after that my install failed to boot saying there was no disk space left :(

have had no luck since home 4.0 & can`t seem to use 4.0 anymore as I can`t emerge anything on it.

I hope this goes ok otherwise I`m gonna have to do a lot of cutting back on my files to free up a larger disk to use.

Hope yer new job is going well by the way ShALLaX :D

bLiGhTy.

[edit] So far so good, up and running without any probs, I think I`ll allow it ti run for a bit before getting my hdb up & running in case it is something to do with that [/edit]
2x xbox v1.0 gentoox home native
2x stock 10GB`s (both built for free :D )

Thanks 2 cheesyboofs, Steinar T & of course ShALLaX.

Falcon; jtag, xbr, 160gb hdd
Ianh
Linux User

Post by Ianh »

Hi cheesyboofs

Very good tutorial.

To anyone doing this for the 1st time please take heed of Cheesy's "word for word" warning.

I got the "Mounting /mnt/hda2/rootfs on /mnt/loopback failed: Not a directory" error. I couldn't sort this out no matter how many times I typed this line rather than "cut and paste" it. Not helped by the fact that my browser substituted some strange characters in Cheesy's help / answer on the thread, making it impossible to follow.

I found the problem eventually, I had "cut and paste"'d the previous line !!!!

I also tried the tutorial with loader 6.5 (why you might ask, becuase I only scan read the tutorial 1st time around in my haste to get started). I could not get rootfs to ftp past about 450M without hanging the ftp software (tried 3 types of software, all sorts of pc firewall settings (even removing all together) only solved the problem by rereading Cheesy's very good tutorial and installing the earlier loader .

Moral of the story - its a good tutorial - follow it word for word !!!!!

Thanks Cheesey (PS both you, teitoku and ShALLaX should ignore my PM's and email on this subject)

IanH
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Glad you got it sorted, sometimes its better to have worked it out your self rather than to have been spoon fed the answer, don't you feel that much better for it!
"only scan read the tutorial 1st time around in my haste to get started" hehe, we've all done it, praps I should have set the warnings in bold as well as red CAPS....
Ianh
Linux User

Post by Ianh »

I feel positively self righteous !!!

Thanks once again.

I am planning to replace the single 10G with 2 x 250G + drives and apply some RAID and automatic back up software.

Anything I need to know ? Apart from read the instructions !!! hehe

Ian
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Two things;
If you find the xbox crashing (red light on solid) or one of the hard drives spinning up and down all the time after you add the second hard drive, the first thing to change is the power splitter cable you will need as some cheap ones don't quite cut the mustered. Most people will tell you that the xbox PSU hasn't got the balls to run two hard drives and this is simply not so.
Secondly, until the v6.x bug gets fixed you are still going to need your DVD drive to recover / restore your xbox as the working 5.11 bios doesn't web boot, so keep it handy.