1.6 Video scrambled. Switched to PAL in Video Settings.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mkleafboy

1.6 Video scrambled. Switched to PAL in Video Settings.

Post by mkleafboy »

Hi all,

First off, Gentoox......brilliant. Secondly, I'm a newb.........not brilliant.

I uploaded Gentoox Home 3.2 via FTP last night. This morning I made it through the questions. Notice however the video is swapped on screen. Left side is on the right, Rightside is on the left. Not a big deal, but hard on the eyes.
So in trying different things to fix it, I got into the Video Settings menu under Gentoox > Advanced. Set it to Standard PAL. Xbox now has flickering display that is basically unlegible. This is in the UnleashX Dashboard, and when rebooting the XBOX itself.
I've tried to go through the menus by memory and hitting "A" at the right times but I cannot get in. Nor can I SSH.

Although I have read that changing the PAL in Gentoox shouldn't affect the other dashboards, in this case it has.

Could somebody please find it in there heart to help this 'dumba**' fix his XBOX?????

Really ..............really.................really need help and greatly appreciate any and all who can help.

Thanks....
-mkleafboy

Edit: Ooops. Wrong browser window. Can I move this posting to the Newbie Section?? Will I get roasted for posting the same one there???
My extreme appologies. Pre-occupied with trying to get this fixed....
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Changing to PAL (why in the hell did you do this when you dont have a pal tv?) from Gentoox Loader physically writes back to the Xbox's eeprom making the change semi-permanent. The only way you can fix this is by doing what you have been - try getting Gentoox Loader to boot (a good way of doing this would be to burn the Loader.xbe onto a CD (rename it to default.xbe), then boot from it... then once its booted, wait for the LED to flash orange then hit the following pad sequence:

right, right, right, right, A, down, A, A, B, down, down, down, down, down, A, A.

If you did the above sequence correctly, your Xbox should reboot and spring back to life!

If it doesnt work on your first attempt, try again. Make sure you make very positive button presses (hold the button for at least 1 second before letting go) and wait at least 1 second between button presses!

Note: this will ONLY work with Gentoox Loader v5.9!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

ShALLaX wrote:right, right, right, right, A, down, A, A, B, down, down, down, down, down, A, A.
This should take you to the secret screen where you can choose special powers or select your level.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mkleafboy

Post by mkleafboy »

Hi there

Thanks for the responses. Greatly appreciate them.

Shallax: "Why did you do this". Temporary brain lapse is all I can attribute it too.

I downloaded 5.9 loader.xbe, burnt it to a CDRW after renaming it to default.xbe. Put it in XBOX and started it up. Soulds like its trying to read it but it still ends up at the UnleashX window.

Is it cause the file is so small, that the XBOX might not read it??

b) Can I use a friends XBOX BIOS if its 1.6 like mine??

Again, thanks in advance. This dumb-dumb greatly greatly appreciates it....
mkleafboy

Post by mkleafboy »

Hi guys (and gals).

I got it to work. It wouldn't load off the cd so I copied default.xbe onto E: and managed to make it through UnleashX File Explorer (and not destroy my eyes from the flickering). Executed it there and was able to get to the menu.

Set video back to NTSC-USA.

Again, I can't say thanks enough. Lesson learned.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

Curiosity killed the cat, but it also put us on the moon :)