Gentoo

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
justincx3
Linux User

Gentoo

Post by justincx3 »

can i use normal gentoo commands with gentoox pro 1.5?
i just did emerge sync and everything seems fine,

magic is not supported on xbox 1.6 with gentoox pro 1.5?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You can emerge just fine.

Read the website for magic info.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

gentoox = gentoo + magic + xbox
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

well what's the point to have magic if we can perform Gentoo commands?

i have install GentooX on my 1.6 with native installation, native methods will only write TEMP files to E: drive, after the installation ended with a green light, i rebooted the xbox launched linux and everything was fine except the files are still in the E: drive and no file is in F: drive, can i just move the files to the F drive? i dont want to restart the installation and performing emerge -u world again :/
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

If you selected native installation, it will not touch your E drive. You may still have the loader and config files in E drive. You need them to start gentoox from the dash. When you say native all it does it cleans up ur F drive for the installation. If it did on your E drive then you will not have your game saves and all other stuff you had in E.
'Native' formats your F: partition to reiserfs and then extracts the rootfs to the newly formatted partition.

WARNING: 'NATIVE' WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR F: PARTITION. ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST. ONCE 'NATIVE' HAS BEEN SELECTED, THE ONLY WAY TO GET YOUR F: PARTITION BACK FOR NORMAL USAGE IS BY FORMATTING!
If you installed on E drive and want to move to F drive thats one good reason why you have magic with gentoox. Search on how to move your installation from E to F or go thru tutorials for that.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

i have typed in "native" for the installation method using SSH, now i have upload a picture so you guys can see what's in my E drive, again, there's nothing in my F drive and i just check again and there's a "swap" file in Y drive ?

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8083/e8ay.jpg
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

ok, anyway i have everything on E drive and nothing in F, i dont mind loosing the F drive support from my xbox dashboard, i am planning to use the C, E and G drives only and F only for linux. now my question is, can i format the F drive to be reiser4 and then to create individually partitions from the F drive for / , /home /tmp /var /usr.... like a normal Gentoo PC installation, meaning root , home and all other folders in different partitions?? my F drive is currently 130Gigs or so and C, E, G, X, Y, Z have 30GiGs all together.

what i am thinking to do.
1-format F to be reseir4 instead of fatx
2-resize F drive to be mini partitions for / , /home, /usr, /var, /tmp, /proc
3-moving everything from E to F (magic f-drive) hoping for magic to see the new partitions so it can install everything in the right place.
4-adding support to vanilla kernel for reiser4 or patch the kernel for reseir4 support.
5-formating all other drives beside the new F drive..(mini partitions, new letters..)
6-reinstalling xbox dashboard and everything.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you're going to use reiserfs4 I would recommend the following route.

1. put the xbox drive into a linux PC and boot into linux.
2. mount the rootfs and chroot across to it
3. Patch the kernel for reiser4 and install the reiser4 tools
4. fdisk and format the drive as you need, don't forget to include a swap partition.
5. mount the partitions
6. cp or rsync the contents of the rootfs across to the ne
7. copy the kernel somewhere.
8. Patch the linuxrc file
9. edit fstab
10. put the drive back in the xbox and boot into resctoox
11. copy the new kernel into place
12. reboot into gentoox.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

it seems to be a lot of work :/ and my knowledge isn't that vast to cover all the steps. first my PC Gentoo installation was wiped (PC hdd is now the Xbox hdd and vis versa) so i dont have any linux system on my system right now. Can i boot from any Gentoo LiveCD? i have one from lxnay wich include support for reiser4. it would be a good idea to start a tutorial on this, because it is much faster than the fatx partition support. if you want you can start the howto and i will follow the steps and give you the results if it is working or not so you dont have to test them, gentoo wiki is a good way to create howtos..

thanks.
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

succesfully updated to the new 2.6 kernel

Code: Select all

┌────(17 Apr 2005 - 20:39:20)──(pts/0)
┌────(GNU/Linux 2.6.11.4-xbox-Gentoox)───┴───(Unknoun)
└──(Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16 on ext2)
justincx3
Linux User

Post by justincx3 »

nobspangle, do you have a tutorial for reiser4 on the xbox?

is it possible?
if so how can it be done?

what i was thinking was,
1) move the xbox hdd to my pc
2) boot from a livecd
3) chroot to the xbox hdd
4) delete the xbox F drive
5) create multiple reiser4 partitions from within the old F partition empty space
6) here i am suppose to tranfer the current GentooX files on my E partition over to the new partitions /, /boot, /swap, /home, /usr, /var. /tmp
with only /boot with reiserfs filesystem, all other partitions will have the new reiser4 filesystem.
7) put back the xbox hdd on the xbox
8) start magic
9) emerge sync
and 10) emerge -auDv --newuse world

after that i should have reiser4 support. I have the above steps already using the lxnay livecd which has reiser4 support, it could not find the xbox hdd wich has fatx partitions, i will try with the official Gentoo livecd after i download it.

is it possible to transfer files from a fatx to a reiser4 file system without damaging anything?