XBox as a DVR

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
SirAlucard

XBox as a DVR

Post by SirAlucard »

I was wondering if there was anyway of turning my XBox into a dedicated DVR and adding something like Freevo or something similar. I know there are USB tuners out there but does anyone know if there are linux drivers for any of these tuners and if it can even be done. I dont care about playing games or anything else on it. I think going this route would be cheaper than buying another TIVO.
Tsuroerusu
Novice

Re: XBox as a DVR

Post by Tsuroerusu »

SirAlucard wrote:I was wondering if there was anyway of turning my XBox into a dedicated DVR and adding something like Freevo or something similar. I know there are USB tuners out there but does anyone know if there are linux drivers for any of these tuners and if it can even be done. I dont care about playing games or anything else on it. I think going this route would be cheaper than buying another TIVO.
Dude the Xbox doesn't have the power for that!
Richard M. Stallman: "Freedom to redistribute and change software is a human right that must be protected."
SirAlucard

XBox as a DVR

Post by SirAlucard »

yeah, your probably right but the tivo is pretty weak too. I thought if TIVO units can handle it, so should the xbox. Oh well, I was just hoping.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If you can find a USB HW MPEG2 encoder, I imagine the xbox could take care of the rest, but I'm not sure if they exist.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

All USB tv cards are h/w mpeg2 encoders, there's no way you could get the video down the cable any other way, there just isn't the bandwidth
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?