x2vga+ and Gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
chuckyboy81070

x2vga+ and Gentoox

Post by chuckyboy81070 »

hi guys, i just got my x2vga+ adapter and it works great except for with gentoox. after the FTP instalation, selecting to run gentoox just blanks the screen, speeds up the fan, and shuts down the xbox (v 1.0). i've looked through the forums and found that this has happened to other x2vga+ users as well. has anyone come up with a solution yet?

since gentoox never starts,SSH isn't a possibility, obviously, and setting display options to use x2vga+ via a regualr TV at gentoox's subequent boot didn't work.

the way it stands now, i can't run gentoox at all with x2vga+, and using the TV for anything other than setup isn't practical since it's in another room entirely. i'd sure appreciate some advice.

thanks,
lance
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

so you never had gentoox started in the first place (all the way) correct.. I woudl start with getting gentoox installed on a normial tv and then run xbvset to change to vga out..
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

iccaros wrote:so you never had gentoox started in the first place (all the way) correct.. I woudl start with getting gentoox installed on a normial tv and then run xbvset to change to vga out..
I'm pretty sure you'd change it to HDTV or X2vga settings, not VGA out. VGA is if you have a VGA cable. The X2vga is a VGA transcoder, meaning it takes component video signals, and converts them to VGA.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

"I'm pretty sure you'd change it to HDTV or X2vga settings, not VGA out. VGA is if you have a VGA cable. The X2vga is a VGA transcoder, meaning it takes component video signals, and converts them to VGA."

since the only options are Composite, HDTV and X2vga I could not see how I was messing him(her) up.. and since all VGA connectins to an xbox use a mix of the hdtv lines and use a timing chip to get correct sync on green.. I don't see the diffrence..
chuckyboy81070

Post by chuckyboy81070 »

hi folks,

i tried all your suggestions, but none worked. the only solution i could find was to flash the BIOS to boot directly into Gentoox. aparently, loading the xbe from evox just doens't seem to work with the new x2vga+ for some reason.
fysa

Post by fysa »

chuckyboy81070 wrote:hi folks,

i tried all your suggestions, but none worked. the only solution i could find was to flash the BIOS to boot directly into Gentoox. aparently, loading the xbe from evox just doens't seem to work with the new x2vga+ for some reason.
I have the same problem with my X2VGA, but I've heard that it is actually a problem with the executable itself not playing well with EvoX. I currently get around it by booting off of the DVD (burned the ISO to DVD-R using Nero) and selecting FatX. I had to modify the X11 modelines to work with my projector at 720p properly, but everything is working well now--just wish I could launch from EvoX.
chuckyboy81070

Post by chuckyboy81070 »

fysa wrote: I have the same problem with my X2VGA, but I've heard that it is actually a problem with the executable itself not playing well with EvoX. I currently get around it by booting off of the DVD (burned the ISO to DVD-R using Nero) and selecting FatX. I had to modify the X11 modelines to work with my projector at 720p properly, but everything is working well now--just wish I could launch from EvoX.
i sort of like have the flashed BIOS now. i'll stick with that. thanks though!
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

sorry I would never have tried that as I have a smartXX chip and I have the GentooX bios 5.4 loaded and still hve 8 other banks.. so I never tried loading from EvoX..
fixedsys
Novice

X2VGA and Avalaunch?

Post by fixedsys »

Has anyone been able to lauch the xbe from avalaunch and get their x2vga to display?

I will loadking gentoox via ftp for 1st time tonight when I get home.
(Plan to FTP to E or F)

I am using an X3 and have plenty of room for another bios so I could stick to that but would like to be able to lauch it from Avalaunch
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

To quote myself :) -- I think the dash has to be running in 480i for the gentoox bootloader to run.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

Yes the MS Dash you set it to the hd setting like it says in the x2vga paper that comes with it.. once you set it in the MS dash and reboot your other dashes will work and the gentooloader from you other dash will display.
fixedsys
Novice

GREAT!

Post by fixedsys »

Great! Thanks.
Trying to FTP geentoox to E:\ atm!
fixedsys
Novice

No luck

Post by fixedsys »

Had my xbox hooked to TV when I was uploading to E:\ via ftp

I was able to edit the avalaunch.xml to have GeentooX in the root menu so I could launch it from there. (Appears right below XBMC)

I already had 480p and 720p enablee (1080i is disabled)

When I lauched Genntoox it ran through the setup.
It asked what type of display I wanted.
I choose "x2vga"
It asked if I wanted to use 480p or 720p. Since I was on a 20" plain old TV I selected 480p. When asked the resolution I used 1024x768.

Samba: Yes
FTPserver: No
Usded the "faster GUI" option (forget the name)
I was able to boot and get into KDE as ROOT.

I shut down and moved xbox to my computer LCD display w/ the x2vga.
I lauched GeentooX and it with through all the plain text initiliztion screen then the screen when black where I saw the KDE gui load up on my TV.
I let it sit like that for 2 minutes - nothing was happening

REBOOTED xbox

I ftped into the xbox and edited the "linuxboot.cfg" to change the:
video=xbox:480p
TO:
video=xbox:720p

Lauched Geentoox
The text inthe boot/dev int sequence was sharper now so I knew that change worked but the same thing happened.

Any Ideas?
fixedsys
Novice

FIXed? :)

Post by fixedsys »

Blew away all the files I uploaded to E:\ from distro.rar and reftpED them back. Ran through the setup and again but this time used HDTV and choose 720p. Its working now - even the usb keyboard I have.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

ah fixedsys, I made a post for people like you just last night, you know. Oh well, now the information's in two places, I suppose. I like to think mine has the info all in one post -- viewtopic.php?p=12597#12597 You do know that by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1 (up to F6) you will switch to a shell from which you can re-run xbvset. Didn't really have to re-ftp everything.