Please help with serious lack of FTP!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tippytip

Please help with serious lack of FTP!

Post by tippytip »

Here's my setup,

version 1.0 xbox
xenium ice modchip
evox v3935

I am trying to ftp into xbox. I have tried all methods to include through a hub, switch, router, and crossover. All have yielded no results. I set up my pc as follws for a crossover conection:

IP: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

Xbox Settings:
IP: 192.168.0.2
SUBNETMASK: 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
FTP:yes
PASSWORD: xbox
IGR: no
Then save and Exit.

After setting the settings in my pc and my xbox I reboot both systems. First the PC then the Xbox. FTP will not work and I cannot ping my xbox. I get the same results for all my different attempts. I wish to accomplish this from pc to xbox. I used straight through cable through the router and crossover for direct connection and have had no luck. I have tried numerous different cables also. Please help I am completely lost as to what I can try next.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Well, if you can neither ping nor FTP to your xbox, it almost definitely is a network problem, not anything else. Can you FTP to your LEGAL NON-XDK dashboard?

PS: A router that can connect two computers on one network is a switch, with a router built in.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

No I can't ping a legal dashboard either. I'm at a complete loss here. The only way to upload stuff to my hdd is to connect my hdd to my desktop and boot up xlinux and do it that way. problem is I don't have a desktop where I am and I won't have one for the next year or so due to my job. Any ideas would be great. I've tried modifying the evox.ini and haved used like 4 different ftp servers with no luck. If you have any idea I'm willing to try.
If I burn files to a dvd I can probably transfer the files. I just need to know how to burn the files onto the dvd so that the xbox can read it. I burned one the other day but it had a blue bottom. Does it need to be a silver bottom for xbox to read it.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Well, it sounds like it's a problem on the network either on your desktop or on the physical level. Plug in a different computer where the xbox is and see if that can work. Can your xbox use internet-releated services?
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

Well I used to use gamespy tunnel software to play halo online and it worked fine but it has been a long time since I've done that. I have tried on a ouple of different computers also. Also if I try to connect to xbox live it doesn't work. That might be a proxy issue though but I'm not concerned with that. I'm mostly concerned with ftping into the xbox. I could care less whether it played live or not. Not sure what to do I think the NIC in the xbox is toast or something regardless of whether or not the lights come on it and he fact that it does recognize when a cable is plugged in. like I said I'm completely lost.
Could it be a bios issue? I'm not sure which bios to use. I'm using m7 right now on a xenium ice running os 2.0. I only have a 40 gig drive on it and no other hardware installed besides that. Maybe someone could advise me as to what bios I should use even though I doubt that is the problem I would like to know which one I should be using. Thanks for the advice so far though.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

could you post the output from

Code: Select all

ipconfig /all
on your windows box and also

route print
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

I will print that out when I get a chance I must take pc of network and set up home network first. It might be a while before I can print the result but please keep checking this post. One question I have is if I were to set up a route from pc to xbox I would type
route add 129.169.0.2 255.255.255.0 ???.???.???.??? ?
xbox IP netmask gateway ? Metric

what gateway do I use for pc and what metric?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You don't need to setup any routes, the system takes care of that for you. If you create a network connection with the IP address 192.168.0.10 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The system will add a route like this:-

network         subnet mask      gateway
192.168.0.0    255.255.255.0    192.168.0.10
If you chose a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 it will also add a route like this

network    subnet mask    gateway
0.0.0.0    0.0.0.0        192.168.0.1
The system will guess the metric for you, metric is the number of routers between you and the destination, it is unimportant unless you have multiple routes to the same place.

You should never need to add routes on PCs unless they are acting as routers. It is enough for them to have a route to localhost one to the local subnet and then a default for everything else.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

In my case, I have no problems with FTP within the lan network.

Whenever I try to ftp from outside (internet) it says directory listing, but never establishes a successful session.

I can FTP from outside using XBMC.

Again, I kept everything the same, but forwarded the FTP port to gentoox box, and it keeps on doing the same.

I have a useraccount in gentoox. I have User and Group specified in proftpd config file. Again LAN FTP works fine.....just the problem accessing from outside. SSH, VNC and apache is working fine too. Just FTP.

and I am ?????????? :roll: ????????? right now.