system halt on install

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tippytip

system halt on install

Post by tippytip »

Well Sorry to say I have yet to have a problem with any sort of mod until trying to install Gentoox Home 3.1.

I have loader.bin flashed to a bank on my mod chip and can boot from it and loader comes up. When I put the cd in well besides the fact that I get some failed cd reads sometimes, I mostly get stuck at loading linuz or whatever comes right after loading the .cfg file during the install. I can't seem to figure out how to get past this.
Should I have copied some files to me c or e drive?
I cannot FTP into my box unless I have a win 98 machine and I don't have access to one at this point. seems like no matter which way I try I get the same results. Freeze at loading kernel Linuz ....

Please help!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Try unplugging your controllers.

Also why can you only ftp from a win98 machine, that sounds like a bad setup to me.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

I have no idea why I can't ftp from an xp machine but I have not found on yet that I can with. I have read many threads indicating that xp has some sort of problems with ftp. If you have any sort of advice with ftp please let me know.
As far as unplugging my controllers goes, I'll give it a shot in the dark and hope it works. will respond after I try.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

xp has no problems with ftp that I know of. Make sure your network is correctly set up and try a different ftp program. FlashFXP is worth paying for.

If you want something free try filezilla.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

I have had xp for a long time now and ftp into the xbox works pretty darn good. I use smartftp. Though its a 30 day trial, you can still use it .....

http://www.smartftp.com/

When do you try to ftp. What kinda xbox do you have and what do you have on your xbox. It should be a problem with your xbox not having a ftp server or something. More info would be nice...

hth
tippytip

Post by tippytip »

Xbox info

Xenium Ice modchip
evox v:3935

PC

Using Flashfxp

Issue:
I set it up using a crossover cable between pc and xbox.
PC IP: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

I then set evox with these settings
STATIC IP: yes
XBOX IP: 192.168.0.2
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1
FTP: yes
IGR: no

then save and exit and reboot xbox. Mind you the pc has already been rebooted. when evox comes back up I don't even touch the xbox.
From the PC I cannot even ping the xbox. I have tried this a million times a million different ways. I have done it with a hub and a router using both static IP and dhcp and still no luck with ftp and yes I did use straight through cables for that. I've also tried, I've lost track, countless number of different cables thinking it may be a cable issue. The xbox also will still link with other xboxs. I can't figure it out.
Is my nic card on the xbox bad or something? I used to use it to play halo on-line with tunneling software with no problem. Help I'm totally lost as to why it won't work.