Strange Error on every First Boot

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Strange Error on every First Boot

Post by Trogdor »

This has happened for a while, but I'm just sick of it. Whenever I boot the xbox for the first time in a few hours, I get a huge long error. It goes like this:

Code: Select all

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtaul address 00000010
*pde = 00000000
Oops = 0000
CPU:     0
(A whole ton of register entries and hexidecimal numbers)
/sbin/rc: line 532: 1143 Segmentation fault /usr/sbin/apache2 -t $(APACHE2_OPTS) >/dev/null 2>d1
*Apache2 has detected a syntax error in your configuration file:
I thought that it looked like a hard drive error, so I fscked it to no avail. If I do a hard reboot on the xbox, though, it always works. Any ideas?

EDIT: this happens near the end of the boot sequence, after the network runlevel. But still, nothing works after the error without rebooting.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
dmp
Linux User

Post by dmp »

Well, specifically it is a kernel oops, but it's hard to be more specific than that.

I have seen odd problems like this before, but as usual, they are hard to reproduce and track down.

What does line 532 of /sbin/rc start? It appears it is whatever is started there caused the kernel to oops, which is why that program received a SIGSEGV.

Either way, it's almost certainly a kernel bug, or a hardware fault, but knowing what was happening at the time helps. It goes without saying that userspace programs (in an ideal world) should not be able to cause kernel oopses.

David