lirc with the M$ DVD remote ?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
nemo

lirc with the M$ DVD remote ?

Post by nemo »

Hi All,

First off I'd like to thank Shallax for the great work - install was painless and almost everything is working just fine out of the box !

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the DVD remote (I want to use the box as a frontend for mythtv). The module is loaded automatically and I've copied the lirc.conf/.lircrc files and all, but only the digits (0-9), the directional buttons and select work when I use the remote.

I also can't use irrecord (get the could not init hardware' error) and irw will only show those buttons that work fine (listed above). I suspect my lirc.conf file is not ok since some buttons do work correctly, but there's no way I can start irrecord to test it. the socket file /dev/lircd is there but :

Code: Select all

Xbox root # file /dev/lircd 
/dev/lircd: socket
Xbox root # ls -al /dev/lircd
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root 0 Feb 18 15:48 /dev/lircd
Xbox root # cat /dev/lircd
cat: /dev/lircd: No such device
any suggestions would be very welcome :)
nemo

Post by nemo »

nevermind, I figured it out.

If anyone has the same problem, check out :
http://www.delgul.demon.nl/xbox/

we actually don't use lirc - the usb-xboxir driver with the patches from xbox-linux project applied seems to behave just like a keyboard and you can setup the keymappings by editing a header file there.
dmp
Linux User

Post by dmp »

That 's no longer the case.

The lame keyboard keymappings have been replaced in Xbox-Linux's CVS, so we now have a proper LIRC driver, which talks to lirc.

I would imagine GentooX has picked up these patches a while back, though it is not inconceivable that it is still using the old keyboard event driver.

David
nemo

Post by nemo »

well I just installed home 3.1 and it sure seems to be using the keyboard-like driver, as I could get nothing out of lirc with the stock module loaded. not a big deal, it works great now that I added the patch.