magic f-drive

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

magic f-drive

Post by nobspangle »

I have gentoox pro and I have resized the rootfs using linux as described in the tutorials section. That has worked fine and I now want to move my newly resized gentoox on to my F: drive problem is the magic f-drive script looks for 3.5Gb of space on the F drive (I pressume it creates a new rootfs and copies the files accross) I however am using a stock 10Gb drive so I only have 2Gb of free space. Is there a way of moving the install to the f drive without using magic f-drive so I can use a smaller rootfs?
kernel_sanders
Novice

Yes, but...

Post by kernel_sanders »

Yes, you could move/copy the rootfs to F:, but you'd also have to edit the bootloader so that it looks for the roofs on F: instead of E: . IMHO, you're better off keeping it on E:, as there's far more free space (about 2x) on the E: partition when compared to the F: partition.

Here's the partition layout of the Xbox 10gb hdd, courtesy of the Xbox-Linux project.
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
kernel_sanders
Novice

also

Post by kernel_sanders »

Also, the example of copying the rootfs and editing the bootloader yourself was what 'magic f-drive' does. You probably wouldn't want to do it manually :)
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

that wasn't really what I meant, I know there is less space on the F drive. I also know it is much trickier to perform the edit of the bootloader and copying of the filesystem yourself however. I want to put KawaX on my e drive as the complete set of roms os 2.5Gb and won't fit on my F drive. I'm not using anywhere near all 3Gb of my rootfs so I have resized it down to 1.6Gb so that it will now fit together with the boot loader and the swap file on to my F drive however if I try to use magic f-drive to transfer the system it reports back that I do not have 3.5Gb of free space which is true. I am therefore asking if anyone can tell me how to perform the transfer manually?

Hope that clarifys everything
kernel_sanders
Novice

Semi-Automatic way

Post by kernel_sanders »

Here's the Semi-Automatic way of doing this:
Step 1: Edit the F-Drive script on your system, or the one here.
Step 2: Edit lines 40-47, detailed here:

Code: Select all

40  echo "Checking disk space"
41  sleep 5
42  if [ `df /dev/hda55 | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $4 }'` -lt 3400000 ]; then
43      clear
44      echo "You do not have enough space left on your drive to install Gentoox."
45      echo "Please free up 3.5GB on F: then try again."
46      exit
47  fi
To:

Code: Select all

40  echo "Checking disk space"
41  sleep 5
42  if [ `df /dev/hda55 | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $4 }'` -lt 1600000 ]; then
43     clear
44     echo "You do not have enough space left on your drive to install Gentoox."
45     echo "Please free up 1.65GB on F: then try again."
46     exit
47  fi
NOTE: I only estimate how much space on lines 42 & 45. You'll have to change that

Step 3: Ask ShALLaX to proofread it :)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Looks good to me.. although 1600000 is 1562.5MB ;).... 3400000 was just a roughish number ;)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Cheers guys I will try it out and let you know how I get on.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Cheers guys managed to get that to work. Had a problem on when ever script tried to access the fatx drives. Managed to solve first one (saving initrd.gz) by remounting the partition, but couldn't make it copy rootfs and swap. So I just did it manually through Evox. Works fine, if anybody else wants to try I used 1850Mb for my rootfs and I have 28.5Mb left on my F drive.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Good job, I like it when users help themselves and each others. Top notch! :wink: