I liked auto login, is there some way to restore it?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Dark_TB
Novice

I liked auto login, is there some way to restore it?

Post by Dark_TB »

It takes ages to login if you are too lazy to atach a keyboard. Also doesn't it slow the startup process?

Just asking if tehre is a way to have auto login without login screen ever to appear?

have a nice day

also when alsa compiled today int eh end it said that mixer volume was of by default or somethign how can I change that? IN kde the sound doena't work. I only use sound throu optical cable maybe thats why?
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

aint there a tutorial?
antiflag1980
Novice

Post by antiflag1980 »

Well if I'm not missing anything gentoox specific than I think you should just comment out the line in /etc/rc.conf that say displaymanager="gdm" or whatever and make sure the line that says windowmanager= or whatever it says is correct for your wm. At least thats how you would do it in gentoo as long as some other file won't interfere like .xinitrc or something. Just try commenting out that line and if worst comes to worst you could use putty from a windows machine or just normal ssh from a linux machine to easily fix it by using "nano -w /etc/rc.conf" and uncommenting the line and then "ctrl+o, enter" to save the changes and then "reboot".
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

gentoox doens't start gdm in the usuall way, there is a tutorial on how to set up autologin that happens after 1 second
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?