How long.... And some other Q's

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
markc123

How long.... And some other Q's

Post by markc123 »

Hello,
Downloaded and installed pro......
Worked very well and installed painlessly on my Focus box.
Problem i have is now I want a GUI, but I need to know how long its going to take to download and compile - I want to go with one of the lightweight ones with just a few peices of software - firefox and gaim are the only things I really want, plus a simple mail client.

Last night it took 3 hours to run emerge sync, so i have alredy invested some time in this install. Home seems like its going to come with a whole lot of fluff i dont really need.

What sort of time am i looking at to get a simple gui up and running? I use the xbox for gaming as well, so i dont want it out of action for the 60 hours :shock: that KDe seems to be going to take.

Anyway, its a standard Xbox and im on ISDN so downloads are gonna be 64k. Took 10 hours to get the Pro install Iso. Broadband is available in January 2005 and I dont want to wait that long for
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

might want to try home
markc123

Post by markc123 »

hows home with installing on Focus chips?
Also will I have to go through another 3 hours of emerge sync in i put home on there?
Want to make sure, as homes gonna take 24h to download
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

to install home on a focus you need to install it over ssh and then run magic, you're probably looking at around the same amount of time to run magic on either system provided you are not installing KDE.
On home you'll need to download a new kernel and gdm so around 50MB + time to compile (around 5-6 hours)
On pro you'll need the above + xfree and xfce4 so about a another 50MB download and another 5-6 hours of compile time.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
markc123

Post by markc123 »

Thanks for the info
Seems like I might try home for the time being.
Started magic last night and it did actually get the download started for the new kernel, but it was 30mb and i needed to use the internet.

The whole Home and pro naming system seems a little weird to me.

Is there ever gonna be a new installer which has precomplied xfree and xfce4 and the kernal update?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

markc123 wrote:The whole Home and pro naming system seems a little weird to me.
Home is ready to go out of the box
Pro is for pros who know what they are doing with linux
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?