Some questions about Gentoox PRO

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
georgc
Novice

Some questions about Gentoox PRO

Post by georgc »

1. The pro version doesnt have any GUI or progs installes right?

2. I think i remember there was like a way to install KDE and all the programs through a terminal. is that right?
lotw
Pro

Re: Some questions about Gentoox PRO

Post by lotw »

georgc wrote:1. The pro version doesnt have any GUI or progs installes right?

2. I think i remember there was like a way to install KDE and all the programs through a terminal. is that right?
Yes that is correct on both 1 and 2. Just run magic or emerge to install things.
georgc
Novice

Post by georgc »

is there a way to have it like the way the home version has it? like all the progs in the menu? without installing all the progs 1 at a time?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

georgc wrote:is there a way to have it like the way the home version has it? like all the progs in the menu? without installing all the progs 1 at a time?
Sorry, nope.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

georgc wrote:is there a way to have it like the way the home version has it? like all the progs in the menu? without installing all the progs 1 at a time?
Sorry to be rude but this is a stupid question. If you want Pro to look exactly like home, then you don't want pro, you want home.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

Ya, download Home instead. As was pointed out by Shallax Pro only installs what is needed. Home installs a lot of useless stuff for most people. It is easy to make Pro like Home by installing the packages, but it also takes quite a bit of time.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Why do newbs go for Pro first? I see it all the while at xbox-scene, people go get a Pro Xecuter, pro this, pro that and they aint got a clue what to do with it. Pro Gentoox is designed for server mode, meaning serving, serving files, web sites, smb server etc etc. I've been using Gentoox for a long time (since V2) and I haven't even tried pro yet since my Linux skills are still bare even after a few years dabling in and out of Linux.
georgc
Novice

Post by georgc »

How long does it take to install KDE? i've had my xbox running for 24 hr and its not done yet. Is there any way to speed this thing up?

it looks like its been on the same screen for hours.

bqt_buliten_gif_reader=1 -dqt no style compact dqt no style pocket ps interlace dqt no style wikiosxp dqt no style compact \var/tmp/portage/qt 3.3.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.2/mkspecs/linux=g== -1. -1/usr/include/freetypr2 -13rdparty/opentype -1../include -1/usr/x11r6/include -1.moc/release-shared-nt/ -o .obj/realease-shared-nt/qhbox.o widgets/qhbox.cpp

its been sitting there since 3:00 eastern
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Well, KDE takes a very long time to compile on a modern desktop, so it would take longer on an xbox. I'd say to give it 3 or 4 days, then pull the plug. Or go with a less bloated GUI (like FVWM or *box).

nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

kde takes around 60 hours (like it says before it starts)

C++ takes a long time to compile so it is normal for one command to sit there for hours at a time. You can tell the line is C++ if it starts with g++ or has *.cpp files in it. Like qhbox.cpp
georgc
Novice

Post by georgc »

its still on the same page is that normal? its been over 12 hours
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

yes
georgc
Novice

Post by georgc »

its still on the same page and its been over 60hr
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I recommend hitting Ctrl+C and installing Home. Ctrl+C will cancel any program that is in progress.

georgc
Novice

Post by georgc »

what do you mean by installing home?

is that a GUI? how long wil that take to compile?