ALOT OF QUESTIONS....... 1 Topic

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
vicviper
Linux User

ALOT OF QUESTIONS....... 1 Topic

Post by vicviper »

Ok first im using KDE

love its simplicity "like me"
I tried to play a mpeg on a cd so I opend the media player but when I click open
Idid not see an option for cdrom
how to I fix this??

Also im currently running magic. is it suppose to run for hours on end?? to patch??

also on the command function to get my screen to fill tv. how do I do that exactly?? i see alot of run xbv
but what does that mean?
I tried that in the run command box and it didnt do crap.
is there a walk thru for that

Also im surfing the net and i tried playing a fashplayer format how do I intall that i downloaded into my desktop. is there a command for this?

and i also got some kind of sound error on first boot i didnt get to catch what it was but next time i boot ill make sure to let you know

please help! I know im a noov ans thats why I came here. you guys seem to know your crap. laters

by the way
LOVE GENTOOX AWESOME ALL I CAN SAY IS AWESOME
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

You sound very young to me, try previewing your post before posting to check for typos. Magic will take a long time to up date Gentoox on a fresh install. XFCE (the window manager) takes a long time to update. Just leave it. Plenty of tutorials on the main site, not sure about MPLAYER, just looks around the program. Tutorials on the site and in the forums for changing your resolution to 800x600.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

KDE automatically mounts CDs when you insert them so just browse to /mnt/cdrom and you should find the contents there.

On a fresh install magic is doing around 8 months of updates so expect a few hours.

The command you want for your screen is xbvset open the command window, switch to the root user then type xbvset and hit enter and follow the on screen instructions bigger values for hoc and voc give more black bar lower values make the image go off the edge of the screen

To play flash you need to install a flash player open your command window switch to the root user and type "emerge netscape-flash"
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
vicviper
Linux User

OK

Post by vicviper »

No I'm not very young, over 28 its just i never EVER tried linux b4 on last question is Your saying goto command and "switch to root"?
how do I do that?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I assumed you knew how to switch to root because you were running magic. You type "su -" then hit enter then type the root password (xbox) then hit enter
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?