A handful of questions

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
OUberLord

A handful of questions

Post by OUberLord »

Hey all, I have a few questions regarding GentooX. Ive used it in the past, but had to uninstall it for space reasons. Now, ive reinstalled and and need some help setting it up the way I had it.

A) How can I stop the xpad keyboard from starting up upon boot?

B) What is the command to fix the kernel screen, and how can I set up a runnable command for it? I remember the command to fix it was fairly lengthy, so I followed a tutorial I found somewhere and edited some files so that when I typed "fixvid" it executed the larger command.

C) Is there a way to force a password change, so that even if GentooX thinks it is too short it will still take it?

D) Are there any other sites that have more info on GentooX, such as tutorials? Im not disrespecting this site by any means, its just that as I recall this site used to have much more info on the usage of Gentoox than it does now.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

a) Yes, magic no-keyboard
b) What the hell is the "kernel screen"
c) Yes, set the password as root: "su -", enter root password, passwd gentoox
d) No, this site has EXACTLY the same content as the old site with the addition of new tutorials. All found through the "Content" link on the left menu.
OUberLord

Post by OUberLord »

b) What the hell is the "kernel screen"

I mean, the screen without the gui, with the flashing green cursor. I dont know the term for it, and since its the kernel running without a shell then I figured thats what it was called.
bikr
Novice

Post by bikr »

i beleive that would be your virtual console or virtual terminal.. =) --Bikr
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, its a console/ terminal which actually is a shell :). Technically, in Gentoox its bash (bourne again shell).

The tool you want to run, i think.. is xbvset :)
OUberLord

Post by OUberLord »

ah :P well, I was kinda close I suppose. No, its not like its stretched or anything, and ive used xbvset in the past to set the res and border sizes. The problem im talking about is on the screen that you first see open bootup where you see all of the stuff and it all hopefully says [OK]. That screen has a problem where it is slightly shrunken horizontally and the text near the right edge mirrors onto the left, making it hard to read.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, that mirroring is because your screen is too wide (fixable with xbv). I think its the projection actually being cast onto the inside of the tv tube and reflecting off the edge onto the screen (thus giving the mirrored image). xbv/ xbvset should cure this.