Mozilla browser not working (xfce after magic)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
-Natas-
Novice

Mozilla browser not working (xfce after magic)

Post by -Natas- »

Ok, I installed Gentoox Home V3.0 last night emerged gdm then ran magic. Before magic I surfed the net for a minute to check my IP settings and mozilla worked fine. I ran magic and now I get and error that says it can't be found (I'm using the xfce 4 gui). How do I fix this? Do I need to just emerge mozilla firefox or something? And if I do emerge it what excatly is the firefox browser called? Thanks in advance for any help with this. I just switched over from debian and I'm feeling a little lost. :(
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
effbiai
Novice

Post by effbiai »

emerge mozilla-firefox ?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I can't pin point it but I reckon there is a bug in magic somewhere that sets the mozilla shortcut up to point to mozilla when the binary it needs to point to is MozillaFirebird
If you want to stay up to date then emerge mozilla-firefox and update your shortcut to point to firefox
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Chunkywolf
Novice

Post by Chunkywolf »

it wasn't there on my install but i downloaded and ftp'ed it but the user permisions all need to be reset, all extensions too. damn i wish i had a keyboard and mouse for my xbox......
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

I did what effbiai posted, emerge mozilla-firefox. It fixed it and even upgradeed it from 0.7 to 0.8. Took like 4 hours though, my poor xbox was on for like 2 days to install gentoox, install GDM, run magic, fix mozilla, and I emerged gnome. Now I have to figure out how to add a user, change the password for user gentoox, remove KDE, and set the clock as it is stuck on UTC. I think my brain is about to fry...... :lol:
nolimit

Post by nolimit »

-Natas- wrote:I did what effbiai posted, emerge mozilla-firefox. It fixed it and even upgradeed it from 0.7 to 0.8. Took like 4 hours though, my poor xbox was on for like 2 days to install gentoox, install GDM, run magic, fix mozilla, and I emerged gnome. Now I have to figure out how to add a user, change the password for user gentoox, remove KDE, and set the clock as it is stuck on UTC. I think my brain is about to fry...... :lol:
man useradd
su -; passwd gentoox
emerge -pC KDE (careful with this...)
emerge -pv ntp

search the gentoo.org forums for an easy how-to on setting up ntp
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

Thanks...... :)