emerging Wine without an Internet connection

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tamper

emerging Wine without an Internet connection

Post by tamper »

Call me a Linux n00b if you will, but please sir, I have a question.

I'd like to 'emerge' Wine (the not-an-emulator thing for running Windows apps), but I don't quite know how to do it. I'm assuming that GentooX is preconfigured to pull these things via the Ethernet cable from the Internet whenever 'emerge' is used - then again I could completely wrong about how this works.

My problem is that while I have a reliable network connection from the PC to the Xbox, I am limited where I live to dial-up access, and furthermore (believe it or not) just AOL dial-up access, which has proprietary protocols that seems to mean it can't be used with WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing.

Is there some way that Wine can be added into GentooX using a local (previously downloaded) file on my PC? Maybe it works like this anyway - as I say I'm afraid I'm a n00b here, but at least I have the saving grace of this forum being too new to have a decent FAQ area. I wouldn't dare ask in the Xbox-Scene forum :D

Cheers,
tamper
(somewhere in France)
Hexnut

Re: emerging Wine without an Internet connection

Post by Hexnut »

:wink:
Hi Tamper,
Winex is included with Gentoox Home. Is this what you're looking for? Check the tutorials for instructions.

Hav a good 1
Hex
tamper

Post by tamper »

Hi Hexnut,

I'd read in the tutorials about WineX's instability, so was hoping to be able to install the standard version of Wine. Is this even possible on the Xbox, or do you have to use WineX/?

t
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Wine is just as unstable as winex in my opinion. If you dont have a network connection, i wouldnt bother with emerge/ portage - just get the source tarball from http://www.winehq.org, copy it over to your xbox's E partition, then in Gentoox do the following

1) Open a console/ konsole
2) su -
3) enter root password
4) cp /mnt/fatx/e/wine.xxxx.tar.gz /tmp
5) cd /tmp
6) tar -zxvf ./wine.xxxx.tar.gz
7) cd ./wine
8) pico -w ./README

Then follow the instructions on compiling - goodluck!