Reqs for 3.1 from users of 3.0

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Reqs for 3.1 from users of 3.0

Post by Sniper Fox »

Let's get a request thread going here for people who HAVE ACTIVELY USED 3.0 for things you'd like to see in 3.1.

If you request something that's ALREADY IN 3.0, i'm going to come to your house and punch you square in the neck.
Sniper Fox
Adept

My requests

Post by Sniper Fox »

- OpenOffice.org 1.1 instead of 1.0.obsolete (Flash and PDF export RULE!). Emerging a masked ebuild is beyond your novice user, and the fact that 1.1 is still masked is a testiment to how stupid it is to have masked ebuilds at all.

- Default tightVNC geometry size of 1024x768 with alwaysshare in the vnctrl command line (index.vnc needs updated to reflect this change).

- Set up timezone / double-check system time during 1st boot script.

==KDE==

- Kportage (with K menu link to 'kdesu -- kportage') and a desktop link called "Add new software" or something to help out the n00bs.

- Redmond window decorations and .NET style widgets in KDE by default.

- KDE Desktop icons for Firebird, Thunderbird. Also, the desktop wallpaper should probably be the same as you get for XFCE.

- KDE bar sized to Small (not Tiny). Add icons for Konsole and KDE System Guard as these are likely to be heavily used.

- Kalarm alerter tray icon disabled. Kalarmd service set to not auto-run (this save quite a bit of memory).

==XFCE==

- About 90% of the things available on the KDE menu are nowhere to be found in XFCE. Also, there's no app to auto find / add apps to the menus like KDE has.

- How the hell do you logout of X windows without shutting down / rebooting? Can we get a button for that?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

If anything, I'll be removing KDE next release.

You logout of Xfree with ctrl+alt+backspace.

90% of the missing items suck, add them yourself. The basics and essentials are there, the rest are KDE apps which would load amazingly slowly in XFCE.

Timezone is setup, thanks

VNC was set to 640x480 on purpose.

Openoffice-bin isnt 1.1 yet, and im not sitting through a compile of it.

Dont get me started on Home 3.1 already, this release was traumatising enough as it is. When I want definite suggestions for 3.1, Ill ask for them. Please dont expect 3.1 for a long long time.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

KDE) If you remove KDE, you remove the ability for a linux n00b to use your distro.

XFree) When I did that at the console, it just kept restarting X instead of staying at the command line

XFCE Menus) Why did you include the apps if they suck? :roll:

Timezone) Good man! Not everyone wants GMT. It's easy enough to change in KDE (same as you would in windows) but in XFCE it's a bitch.

VNC) I'd imagine ALL of your users monitors are capable of > VGA display.

OpenOffice-bin) nano /usr/portage/app-office/openoffice-bin/openoffice-bin-1.1.0.ebuild

replace "~x86" with just "x86"

emerge /usr/portage/app-office/openoffice-bin/openoffice-bin-1.1.0.ebuild

Takes about 2 minutes + download time.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) Boohoo
2) Lies, i dont use X/K/G/DM, so it will drop to console and stay there, ive tried it. You can also run "killall X"
3) I dont care, I'm GMT, so I'll set it to GMT.
4) The apps are there because theyre part of KDE, theyre totally not useful
5) Thats not the reason VNC is 640x480, Althought i Might consider 800x600
6) ~x86 = unstable, Im not gonna release unstable software. Its the whole reason I wanted for XFCE to become stable
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

Oh, when something is masked that means it's unstable? I thought masked just meant it wasn't going to update then next time I did emerge -up world.

Sorry for my mistake :oops: , I only use FreeBSD & Windows in the standard PC world.

Thanks for the idea about the 'Killall X', I'll add a button to that in my XFCE panel called "Log Off" or something.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, I'll prolly add a logoff button too, i just figured people would ssh ’6´ãhey needed console.
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

I was thinking more for server or remote-only xbox usage. Even if you're using XFCE for your window manager, there's no reason to have it loaded on the console AND on the VNCd.

My xbox isn't even plugged into a TV (or any controllers) right now, so I disabled starting X on the console session (VNC still does).
jungec
Novice

Post by jungec »

i would like support for 480p, 720p, 1080i for gentooX 3.1. The xbox-linux guys have just released it. http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ The reason for this is so i can get my x2vga working out of the box. Pretty please with sugar on top Shallax.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I want Frozen Bubble to work in 800x600 res.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Re: My requests

Post by Trogdor »

Sniper Fox wrote:How the hell do you logout of X windows without shutting down / rebooting? Can we get a button for that?
Alt-Ctrl-Backspace

Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

*sighs*

I know everyone is thinking this, but one of us has to say it: kernel 2.6.0, once it has been patched as gentoo-sources (or even not, because gentoo-dev-sources is goin' great for me [but not on my xbox]).

Two more things: Atlantik (tons-of-fun online monopoly), and Falcon's Eye (a nice gtk nethack).

aias
Novice

Post by aias »

i see that the new kernel is already on xbox-linux cvs.

it would be very nice if it home 3.1 has the new kernel or an update in the magic scripts would allow to install it
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Maybe a nice bootsplash? (bootsplash is included in kernel 2.6.)

Also, it might help some users to have a desktop manager turned on by default. Since KDE is installed, KDM would be a good choice. Or XDM, which is also already installed. Either are good.

If you can't wait, use this:

rc-update add [kdm|xdm] [default|any other run level].

Or maybe in setup, an option:
-Would you like a desktop manager to help with using multiple users?

Just my $0.02.

Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Here's one for us who are angry by the small RAM and processor of our xboxen: fluxbox. Or, more specifically, a nice pre-configured fluxbox avec good menus et "magic fluxbox". Fluxbox doesn't have too much overhead, and the only thing taking up the screen (other than the windows) are the tiny toolbar, and the slit if you want to use it. As opposed to the giant KDE menu, or the XFCE menu + thing on the top.

Just my $2.50