Pls Add Freevo!

Request new features that might make using Gentoox better.
Frodo

Pls Add Freevo!

Post by Frodo »

Hi,

Could you please add freevo?
I think it would b a really nice addon to your already great software
and many ppl lack the knowledge to install freevo themselves

See ya

Frodo

Author of XBMP
bikr
Novice

Post by bikr »

frodo , why did you make playing a dvd in xbmp so damn confusing, you gotta traverse like a bunch of stupid menus , why don't you have a "play dvd" button.. just curious , --Bikr
del33ted_g33k
Novice

Post by del33ted_g33k »

yeah i want that please i'm never could find out how to
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ugh, I dont think I'll add freevo, it will probably be slow and will open up a whole load of new support issues for me, Im not exactly sure what it is and how it works. Maybe I'll add it in the next version once I've read up about it!
aias
Novice

Post by aias »

you could use on freevo.org their new ebuild shallax and integrate it in your magic scripts.the new version is not in the portage. i installed it and have to say, there are no problemes and it works great.

freevo is exactly what i wanted.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Ok, ill look into it.
energyBB
Linux User

Post by energyBB »

Another nice alternative is oxine (which is based on Xine instead of mplayer).

Couldn't get it to autostart DVDs on the old 2.4.20 kernel, but I'm sure there are no problems with the new 2.4.22 kernel (which has also fixed CD playback which didn't work at all before or crashed after a few minutes of play in xine).
jiz_king

Post by jiz_king »

I am keen to hear of anyone who has Freevo (or similar) working as a PVR on Gentoox with a USB1.1 capture card

( http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data )

The linux drivers *are* available.
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

i think freevo would be a useful addition :)

i think that usb2.0 would be a useful mod :P

i think that gentoox is coming a long way fast, and freevo can only compliment that :)
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
rc3105

Post by rc3105 »

I second (third?) the motion to include freevo or mythtv / mythtivo. I allready use my xboxen as "video terminals" off the tivos

once the xbox has functional pvr sw I'll update my tivo server so the xbox can treat a tivo as a capture device connected via network :p

--
Riley
Snoop244

Post by Snoop244 »

I have Mythtv (MythFrontend to be exact) running on an old version of Gentoox. It is very close to the perfect setup; the PVR features are great, but:

-it does drop frames to the point where it gets annoying to watch sports and other shows where fluid motion is important (though its not too bad)
-it requires a backend Linux server

I would definitely vote for MythFrontend in the next release, though the backend is difficult to install. If the rationale for putting this stuff in the actual release (versus typing "emerge mythtv") is to help those of us that are technically challenged, I would be cautioned that this PVR stuff requires fairly sophisticated backend tweaking (i.e. a Master Server); so getting a functioning PVR up and running won't be trivial no matter what goes into Gentoox.

I didn't think that Freevo had a distributed, front-end, back-end server architecture. So the only way to use this as a PVR would be to use the USB TV capture devices. Do they work in Linux? Is this group simply asking for Freevo as a media player without the PVR stuff (i.e. without the Tivo-like behaviour)? When I search for posts on Gentoox Freevo, its unclear to me whether they are simply using it as a media player or a PVR. If it runs as a PVR on the XBox alone, then I vote Freevo. If it doesn't, I vote MythTv, which has a tonne of momentum behind it and (IMHO) much better functionality.

I plan to get the new Gentoox up with a native install to see if it fixes my current MythTv framedropping problem.

S.
jiz_king

Post by jiz_king »

snoop, my interest is purely to use freevo as a PVR. I have read several forums that suggest that the usb 1.1 video capture (link in earlier post)card runs well under linux (better than windows in fact).

Surely someone has this running?
rc3105

Post by rc3105 »

jiz_king wrote:I am keen to hear of anyone who has Freevo (or similar) working as a PVR on Gentoox with a USB1.1 capture card

( http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data )

The linux drivers *are* available.
got a link for those drivers?
jiz_king

Post by jiz_king »

Frustratingly the link I had before is gone (as you can see!)

I'm sure it was an official hauppauge driver.

Still, there is this....

http://pvrusb.sourceforge.net/

although if I was correct, there should be an official driver around. I will see what I can find.
Snoop244

Post by Snoop244 »

Wow! I had no idea that the USB capture devices would work in Linux. Now that Freevo is part of Gentoox, maybe someone who has it working can write up a tutorial.

I suppose this means I will have to get a bigger drive:-)