Latest kernel problem: Focus + Advanced AV Pack

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
justintime
Linux User

Latest kernel problem: Focus + Advanced AV Pack

Post by justintime »

Hi all,

I bought the Advanced AV pack for my Xbox as the audio side of my home theater is done, but I still have a POS 27" TV. So I have optical audio out going to my receiver, and SVideo going to my TV.

The announcement on the gentoox website last night came 5 beers into my six pack, so I figured what the hell, and ran magic. Everything completed successfully - although where before it detected my available output as "TV", now my only option was "Composite". I also selected 800x600, which I have ran on this TV before through my laptop's nvidia card under Gentoo.

Well, after reboot, I launched Gentoox from Ava, and I got a black screen. I figured no big deal, I can still ssh in, but upon closer examination, the XBox is physically powering itself off. The LED flashes orange a few times, and shuts itself off (is that an XBox kernel oops?).

At that point, I figured I'd just go to bed and troubleshoot the next day. I'm at work now, so I can't do anything for awhile, but I thought I'd post what I had so far, because it doesn't look like anyone else has had any issues.

I'm going to try tweaking the resolution down to 640x480 in linuxboot.cfg, and if that doesn't work, roll back to the old kernel. Anyone else have any similar issues or ideas?

Justin
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats a known bug (orange led and increased fan speed). It's caused by cromwell, sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesnt. Just keep trying over and over. This only affects Focus boxes.

Also, the "Composite" setting is the same as the "TV" setting, its just that for focus, component cables and S-Video wont work properly.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

I don't know if this is just for me or what, but if you boot up with xromwell.xbe you can get past the orange LED to power down bug, although it still happens once in a while. But, I didn't patch the new magic yet, so (*shrug*).
justintime
Linux User

Post by justintime »

ShALLaX wrote:Thats a known bug (orange led and increased fan speed). It's caused by cromwell, sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesnt. Just keep trying over and over. This only affects Focus boxes.
Any ideas why it started now? I installed Gentoox sunday night, and never had the issue until the upgrade last night - is it pure coincidence?

Justin
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yep, coinkydink.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo