Games that work in gentoox: BZFLAG. Review and install help

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.

Have you played this game, If so, give your ranking

No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes

Total votes: 1

RabidWeezle
Linux User

Games that work in gentoox: BZFLAG. Review and install help

Post by RabidWeezle »

Well, I thought since alot of you guys are new and such to linux, you are probly thinking to yourself, "Man, I need some decent games..." Well Weezle is here to help your game fix. I intend on making a few posts of games that work perfectly, or damn close to perfect in gentoox, and how to install them. So you linux new guys or linux pro's can have you some good gaming.

And the first game is (drumroll please) BZFLAG.

BZFLAG is a good ole fashion tank game done up right in 3d. It's multiplayer (only?), so you can duke it out online with quite a few people. This game is activly played at just about all hours of the day, so finding a server with alot of people on . This game might not look like a million bucks in the mode you have to run it in to get decent speed, but it's still the gameplay that makes it quite enjoyable. There are white flags all over the ground, and you pick em up to get a powerup to your tank or weapons, or sometimes a pwerdown. This makes it like rolling the dice everytime you pick up a flag.

The controls are pretty simple, but in this game you will need a usb keyboard, if you want to make it past the menus to get into a game. When you start,

Basic controls:

Movement:
There is a square in the middle of the screen with a square in the middle, if you put your cursor in the middle square you stop the tank, if you go down from the small square you go backwords, right or left of the small square and you turn that direction and up from the small square you can move forward.

Fireing your weapon:
Right mouse button, you tap it, and it fires 1 shot, you can fire consecutive rounds, but after a few it has to replead, so aim carefully.

Jumping:
Tab button on keyboard. Yes, on most servers, tanks can jump, strange but true. You can not stear or adjust forward or backwords sped when in the air, but you pretty much set a coarse by moving the direction you want to go, then hitting [tab] to jump. Depending on if you were turning or moving forward or both, you will either glide forward and straight, spin in the air, or glide forard and spin.

Installation in gentoox.
Rather easy, in a console type in sudo emerge bzflag or as root just do emerge bzflag. Compile time ~1 hour if that

to run, add your user (that would be gentoox for thmost of you) to /etc/user in the catagory games like so: games::35:gentoox (or whatever login you use if not gentoox)

Any questions or comments, reply to this post.

Bugging people in #gentoox since april
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

I assume you're excluding games that came pre-installed with gentoox?

Frozen Bubble is probably the most fun pre-installed game.

Check out happypenguin.org or linuxgames.org. Any games listed there that don't REQUIRE 3d acceleration should work fine on gentoox.
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Post by RabidWeezle »

You would be correct in assuming that. I would like to introduce new games than the preloaded stuff. BZFLAG says 3d acceleration on it, because it supports it, but it also works without it on the xbox great. But I am probly gonna stray away from the wine howto's since I am not a big fan of wine. I like to promote the work of the linux game devs. I am looking through portage and such for suitable games to post that people will enjoy :) I basically look at happypenguin and linuxgames and see if it's on portage, if it isn't I will give instructions on where to get the files and how to install. Also on my mind is posting reviews on usefull utils that people can get to make it easier on themselves. Such things as mc, different window managers and such.

Oh, since I forgot last time, here's some screenies of bzflag, so you can see if it's something you might like.

Imagenaw

RabidWeezle
Linux User

Post by RabidWeezle »

one more note, if we had 3d accel, these reviews would be sooo damn fun. America's army, the new wolfenstgien free game, all those tight high end ports and such. Gawd I wish I knew someone was working on that... I would die to play some glx/dri games...

ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

newbee to gentooX and linux..

you mention the game and a few sites one of which are not available ...

anyway .. I linked to a site that has the file(s) but which one? RPM version , RPM? which distribution and version???

works with gentooX??
~ToeRag.
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Post by RabidWeezle »

The files are available in portage, so if your in gentoox, in a terminal/console/ssh/konsole/xterm you would type in sudo emerge bzflag and it will download it, compile it, and install it. When it's done, you will type in xterm in x: bzflag

As noted before the account used to run bzflag has to be in the games group in order to see the command and run it. So you need to add your user to /etc/group under games using pico -w /etc/group or another form of user/group editing of your choice...

As for the site, search up bzflag on google, it should find it first try.

Answering your question, you don't download anything manually, portage does it all...

ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

RabidWeezle wrote:The files are available in portage, so if your in gentoox, in a terminal/console/ssh/konsole/xterm you would type in sudo emerge bzflag and it will download it, compile it, and install it. When it's done, you will type in xterm in x: bzflag

As noted before the account used to run bzflag has to be in the games group in order to see the command and run it. So you need to add your user to /etc/group under games using pico -w /etc/group or another form of user/group editing of your choice...

Answering your question, you don't download anything manually, portage does it all...
Thanks...

still having trouble launching .

I get this:

gentoox@Xbox gentoox $ bzflag
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
Can't create window. Exiting.
after typing bzflag - I am running from a VNC client ??? is that the problem?

I tried typing as you suggested: x: bzflag but got this :

gentoox@Xbox gentoox $ x: bzflag
bash: x:: command not found

everything else went fine up until then... ???
~ToeRag.
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

RabidWeezle wrote:The files are available in portage, so if your in gentoox, in a terminal/console/ssh/konsole/xterm you would type in sudo emerge bzflag and it will download it, compile it, and install it. When it's done, you will type in xterm in x: bzflag

Thanks...

still having trouble launching .

I get this:

gentoox@Xbox gentoox $ bzflag
Can't create window. Exiting.
after typing bzflag - I am running from a VNC client ??? is that the problem?

I tried typing as you suggested: x: bzflag but got this :

gentoox@Xbox gentoox $ x: bzflag
bash: x:: command not found

everything else went fine up until then... ???
~ToeRag.
RalfoX

Post by RalfoX »

Yes, that is a problem.
You could try
DISPLAY=:0.0 ; bzflag
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Post by RabidWeezle »

in x: = in xfree86

I haven't tried it in vnc, So I wouldn't know about that. I don't even have vnc installed (gentoox pro) so, I would have to say try it on the xbox itself with a keyboard/mouse if you have em.