CAN I USE MY XBOX TO IN MY CAR ????

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
funkypaj

CAN I USE MY XBOX TO IN MY CAR ????

Post by funkypaj »

Hi All,
firstly my computer knowledge is very limited so those of you who offer me advice please be patient with me.

i have bought a japanese import car.

it is equiped with satnav and apparently a TV although i have not managed to view this.

First problem is all the text that comes up on the screen is in Japanese, so you cant understand anything.

under the passenger seat is a DVD player thingy for which i was given 3 very poor condition discs when i bought it. the player will take the discs when inserted but it doesn't acctually seem to do anything with them, (this could be due to the poor condition of them).

I have had trouble finding discs In english to replace the ones i have in an attempt to iron this one out.

someone has told me that I can convert an xbox, control it from the in dash screen and use it to run a GPS programme of satnav software in place of the DVD player thing under the seat. He suggested using something called Linux, I dont have a clue what this is or if it would be going the wrong way about fixing it.
as i already have an Xbox it seems like a good idea.

any help would be greatly apprieciated regarding sourcing discs or converting my Xbox.

Many thanks
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

The project you're talking about is probably gonna be difficult for you, based on your knowledge of computers. Since you don't even know what linux is, installing and configuring it might be a challenge. It's another operating system that you can run, similar to windows on your PC. If you modify the XBOX properly, you can run linux and basically get a small computer you can sitck in the trunk (or under the seat if it'll fit).

What you'll need to do is mod your xbox (modchip/softmod/whatever) and then install Gentoox. After that, you're free to install whatever apps you want, and I'm sure there's plenty of GPS ones out there.
leperkuan
Linux User

Re: CAN I USE MY XBOX TO IN MY CAR ????

Post by leperkuan »

If the dvd player under your seat has the (RCS) input wires hooking it up the the factory screen would be a breeze. Use a DC to AC converter which can be bought at many retail stores, the xbox doesnt require much on watts i think my cheapo convertor was 150watts 300watts max and it worked fine. Search around on MP3car.com and to leggaly install linux on your xbox search on xbox-linux.org to softmod your xbox. Fun project although i never ran linux in my car, people were amazed by the xbox.
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Seriously, dude. Please don't go trolling through threads resurrecting posts that are months/years old. If it hasn't been replied to in a couple weeks or a month, consider it dead...
leperkuan
Linux User

Post by leperkuan »

im just giving reference to future users who are searching the web in depth for topics on the subject, im sorry if i cause any inconvenience. If its was meant to not be the thread would have been pruned.
xbox 1.5 duox2 40gb HD