Support for Shallax

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
xboxSlayer

Support for Shallax

Post by xboxSlayer »

I just wanted to express my feeling towards Gentoo and there treatment of Shallax. Shallax has created the best Linux project by far on the xbox. Installation is easy and the whole program is user friendly. The website is easy to navigate and questions are easily answered in the forums. The Gentoo people are crazy to take Shallax of this project. Gentoox is the only reason I learned how to use Linux. And since using it was so easy I never really had to much trouble with it.

I think the people at Gentoo are pretty full of themselves if they think they can do better that Shallax. To steal his project after he worked so hard on it for over a year is shameful. I for one will never use Gentoo or thier xbox port. I will continue to use Gentoox whenever I need to do things with Linux on my xbox.

I've only posted here a few times but I've been around here for awhile. Good luck Shallax in whatever you are going to do. I say if Gentoo is going to do this to you then screw them. If you can create an excellent program like Gentoox than you can probably do anything. You have alot more talent then me that's for sure.

Thank you for all your hard work and for giving us such an excellent program.
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

Thank you Shallax, I would never ever have looked at xbox-linux if it wasn't for you and out of protest I certainly won't use any new distribution that you have no part in.

You did more for xbox-linux that any other individual in terms of actually getting people to use it.

If this is what you choose you shall be greatly missed but if you continue with your work and they're end up 2 gentoo projects I know which one I and any other memeber of your forums shall be using.

Thank you again Shallax it's been a blast!!!!

3 cheers for Shallax

Hip, hip, Hooray
Hip, hip, Hooray
Hip, hip, Hooray
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
Angel of Dawn
Adept

Post by Angel of Dawn »

Hm...
i allready expressed my opinion about this matter in another topic some weeks ago.
I love ShallaX work, but if he stops his work on GentooX i will switch to a distribution which receives updates.
My love to Shallax or Gentoox is not superior over my love to being up to date or to solve the problems i encounter.
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

I have used Gentoox in the past and it is easy to use( not using it now as my HD in my xbox is too small). I really liked that whole magic setup. What was done to Shallax is a shame and it seems to me that the Gentoo people realized how popular Gentoox was so the dumped Shallax and stole his work for themselves. Not sure if that is what really went down or not but no matter what the deal is, it is still pretty messed up. Hopefully Shallax will continue to make Gentoox.
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Good luck shallax! Gentoox 3.0c is a suprime distro and magic just rules. Magic is better than windows update hehe, yes but I hope you get things sorted, the thing I like about Gentoox is the cimmunity support availble.
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

no doubt that gentoox is cool, but I think there is some misplaced sentiment about the gentoo developers. I think they are going to be most interested in creating an architecture that complies with the gentoo approach, wheras gentoox has enough customizations that it's a little too different to fit within the gentoo model. so hopefully it will all just lead to more choice, with more people working on improvements, etc.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

as it says in the handbook gentoo is all about choices, I think if Shallax continues to develop gentoox, people will continue to use it (certainly the home version).
Other people will take the route of compiling their own gentoo for the xbox through portage, and that seems like it fits in with what gentoo is about.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
bdonkey
Linux User

Post by bdonkey »

Yeah, it seems the Gentoo treatment has been pretty underhanded...

SHALLAX PWNS ALL OF THEM!!!
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

nobspangle wrote:as it says in the handbook gentoo is all about choices, I think if Shallax continues to develop gentoox, people will continue to use it (certainly the home version).
Other people will take the route of compiling their own gentoo for the xbox through portage, and that seems like it fits in with what gentoo is about.
Yes but most people who run xbox linux run hacked bios's and have only looked at linux because of home edition. Probably more usb xbox cables were made for this than any other thing on the xbox. Still the user base is very small. You've got to be a geek basically if you've ever booted linux on your xbox. Gentoox was why I bothered to make a usb cable and boot linux. I know I wasn't alone I've been following gentoox progession from the start in the xbox scene forums and in these. I've missed the gentoo forums but that's because if it wasn't for shallax I wouldn't even know what gentoo was! (as I'm sure a lot other XS people wouldn't)
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

No matter what,Shallax deserves better treatment from these Gentoo persons,because of all the HARD work he has put into what they are Stealing away from him.

He wasnt getting paid anyway...Screw em!
I'll stick with my old Gentoox,/Stardust,and they can keep their port,outve respect for Shallax,I wouldnt support them for nothing until they give credit where credit is due.

I had actually thought of running Gentoo on my PC, but didnt because I couldnt find as easy,str8 forward setup forit,as I did for my XBOX through SHALLAX!

THX for everything SHALLAX, I know you will do well in life,just from all the hard work and "smarts" I've seen you put into GENTOOX!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

bdonkey wrote:Yeah, it seems the Gentoo treatment has been pretty underhanded...

SHALLAX PWNS ALL OF THEM!!!
That's not really fair. The Gentoo dev team did make portage, and the xbox-linux people did do the bios, drivers, etc. AFAIK.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Lets just agree that Shallax put a lot of work into Gentoox, and has earned the right to at least be involved in any official implementation of Gentoo on the xbox. I'm sure that's what we're all saying here.

Personally, I think Gentoo is a great distro, and I'm thankful that Shallax has put so much work in to bringing it to the xbox. I use Gentoo on my other PCs (it's sort of funny how I got started really... I was looking to get experience with linux before I broke my xbox with it, so I installed it on my home computer eons before I ever modded my xbox. I chose Gentoo because it looked like the hardest, simplest way to learn the most and have the most control. [yes, I realise I'm rambling... I haven't slept enough lately]). Anyhow, the Gentoo people should thank Shallax for riling up users for the distro, and interest in linux in general. Even if most of said users are total newbs and not really who Gentoo is aimed at. Shallax has worked hard to exclude nobody from at least having a good OS on their xbox. And I'm sure this has encouraged lots of people (perhaps with the exception of _mikec_ and jakin) to develop an interest in and learn about linux.
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

Shallax wasn't the first to port gentoo to the xbox was he? He was the first to release a public project which has been very successful. I started playing with linux with home edition 1.0 as a lot of other people did see the XS forums as well as Shallax's own. It's led me to a dual boot gentoox, XP system. I use the gentoo system about a 1/3 of the time but I think I could make the ful move. (XP is very stable though I managed 176 days before rebooting (Only to update) when I first built my system and it still felt fast.

There's space for 2 gentoo based linux's choice is great but I know which one us linux newbie's will be running.

The xbox isn't really a viable PC replacement at the price and running linux on it is geeky the market itself is going to be pretty small.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

You saying im a geek, stuff you Gentoox is for everyone.
oges
Novice

Post by oges »

thanks Shallax for everything :D this xbox distro is far the best!
i'm gonna donate soon ;)