stock hard drive-20gb what for?

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
phi0x

stock hard drive-20gb what for?

Post by phi0x »

I was wondering how can I setup my MCE gentoox to install on a stock hd or a 4gb hd. I have a spare 4gb drive which I would love to use for it, I dont need to be saving things to the drive other then just running the mythtv frontend. I dont understand why you need so much space 20gb hd, to install a system thats like 1gb?! and the swap shouldnt be more then 1gb itself either i believe. Also if you say well if you want to rip dvd's etc.. well why wouldn't you have your mythtvfrontend setup to rip to the server not to ur xbox frontend? I have a big enough server (backend) which means I dont want to rip to the xbox any of my movies, I dont want to store anything it should all be storing to the server, which means I shouldnt need more then 4gb hard drive to hold the OS and mythtv etc..
Can anyone help me install it to my 4gb drive? Or even stock drive?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

What it does is leaves the first 8GiB of the drive intact (for normal Xbox usage), it then uses about ~5GiB after the 8GiB boundary (so really you only need a 12GiB hard drive but I say 20 to be safe otherwise you'll have no room for media).

The ~5GiB space is partitioned as follows (this if from memory so I may be wrong)

256MiB Swap - hda1
700MiB Rescue - hda2
3500MiB Installation - hda3
XXXXMiB Media - hda4

(Where XXXX is how ever much space you have left after the Installation partition).

So, in short, the reason you need such a big drive is because it maintains original Xbox functionality. If you're an experienced user, you can edit the installer to make the start sector right at the beginning of the disc (sector 63, I think) you will only need about a 5GiB drive (you may have to edit space checks within the installer... its a long time since I looked at it and I forget if I had any such checks).

Hope this helps!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
phi0x

confusion

Post by phi0x »

yeah it helps in a way but its also confusing -_- how do i edit it? and why can't you setup a installation that lets ppl such as myself that only need to use xbox mostly for a mythtv client? Im not trying to be pushy or anything:P just saying it would be very nice to have -_-, also if I download this, put in my 60gb drive and then install the mce gentoox how can i use AID 2.0 auto installer to install without removing the partitions that gentoox made? i am unclear on these things.