What's the advantage of MCE over XBMC

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
ToeRag
Novice

What's the advantage of MCE over XBMC

Post by ToeRag »

I've been away from this site for awhile; I hacked/installed gentoox on both my xboxes - but never really found a functional use for the abilities of a linux OS running on my XBOX -

I now see that MCE is an optional install - and I'm wondering what does this sysem have over XBMC 1.1 ? One of the complaints I always had with gentoox was how long it took to boot. That wouldn't be a problem if I had a system that I used and needed for a specific funcction that I couldn't do on my Win2k box.. But that didn't seem to be the case. anyway...

back to my origianl question, XBMC boots up from a cold start and running a python script can be playing a playlist in about 15secs!

Am I just missing something obvious here?
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Its legal.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:Its legal.
Ahh! got-it... I knew there must have been something, I was hoping it wasn't just that though.
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

How about DVD ripping.. and the realistic chance of being able to run a TV card from your xbox?
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Getting a tv card up and running is my primary reason for loading gentoox onto my xbox. I'd be willing to loan my MSI Vox USB2.0 tuner to you (Shallax) if you think you could get drivers working.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm, I've tried a Hauppauge PVR USB2... but cant seem to get the drivers working :( Not sure if yours would.
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Which kernel are you using?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

2.6.10, at the time I tested it.
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Did the module probe at all? Or were the drivers useless? I think the guy who's been working on the haupauge drivers updated them recently.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

They loaded into the kernel fine... they just didnt work. I tried reading from /dev/video0... and i got errors :\
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Bummer. Were you testing through an xbox? I'm almost tempted to buy a haupauge just to test.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, it was on MCE.
trecenters
Linux User

Post by trecenters »

You cant stream a tv tuner in a pc to xbox with XBMC can you???

I hear you can with MC..

I have Gentoox installed on E with not enough room for MC can I ftp the files from the MC ISO to my F drive and run it without fuxin my EVOX/APPS/MEDIA??? :?:
fysa

Post by fysa »

trecenters wrote:You cant stream a tv tuner in a pc to xbox with XBMC can you???

I hear you can with MC..

I have Gentoox installed on E with not enough room for MC can I ftp the files from the MC ISO to my F drive and run it without fuxin my EVOX/APPS/MEDIA??? :?:
Sure you can. Just use VLC on your PC to view/transcode/stream out your capture card content -- then create a .strm file with your PC's IP address/streaming port and place it somewhere you can find it through 'My Videos.' Check out the XBMC forums for more.
Chewonit64

Post by Chewonit64 »

On a side note XBMC is legal as long as it is compiled with a non-MS compiler.