A bit let down...

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
xbox_hack

A bit let down...

Post by xbox_hack »

Okay, so I read on Xboxscene that MCE was coming out. Like I am sure 1,000's of others I was all excited about it and just could not wait to get my hands on it. The post said,

" Remember, the emphasis of the project is on ease of use. There is no messing around trying to set the software up - it works straight out of the box! Just run through the fully automated installer and you'll be up and running in no time... Linux has never been this easy."

Haha.. Yeah right, so I download MCE which anyone knows takes forever to get and it's a big WinRAR file, of course. I extract this to find, a bios folder, XBE folder, the Friend Tech readme, and another MCE WinRAR. I open the Friend Tech read me which talks about to excute the CD portion, and I'm like.. What CD?? Okay, so it's a given you need to install files onto a CD. But it does not even give you a clue as to what you need to install on the CD.

So I do a bit of looking around and asking, and am told I need to take the MCE WinRAR which is actually an ISO and burn it to a CD. Then I need to download gentoox and find a file there called "Stardust" and burn it to a CD as an ISO to.

Ugh... No where in the readme did it say any of this. So how is that even helpful to someone new? (Not very easy)
Ok, so I did all this, pop the CD in and walla bang the screen comes up looking like a flash bios screen saying install. I click install and it just opens the DVD-ROM asking for the MCE disc... Ugh, what the hell I think.. This is the MCE disc! I stick the disc back in only to have it say it's booting and do nothing at all.. Just sits there saying, booting..
I burnt it again on another CD and did the same thing, only when it asked for the MCE disc again I stuck in my other. It loaded, booted until it got to the VMLINUZ file and then the system halts and does no more. It does this each dang time I try.

So I extracted the MCE WinRAR, which I was told was an ISO.. But huh, WinRAR does not extract ISO's.. How funny is that? Anyways, all extracted I burned it on to a DVD. Loaded it up, bing.. It worked and I clicked install, asked for the MCE disc I stuck in the CD this time and it loaded again until the VMLINUZ file. Seems no matter how I do this, it stops booting on that certain file. Now what could be causing that problem?

I have the X2 4981.06 bios, Evo X and a 120gb hard drive. I would actually really like to get this up and running! So anyone with advice and please help out. But I am really let down because I thought this would actually be something easy (as stated) to install. I think the readme needs to be re-written and more clear on instructions and a tutor should be posted as well...
xbox_hack

Post by xbox_hack »

By the way I have an Xecuter 2.3 Pro and which to still use Evox and play backup games with MCE installed. So which switch settings would I use as well?
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Newb, use Nero to burn the ISO at slowest speed, and just get used to Winrar, and be careful it formats your F drive to Linux only and you will lose your game backups (if any), dont start moaning about it :p.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Re: A bit let down...

Post by nobspangle »

xbox_hack wrote:So I extracted the MCE WinRAR, which I was told was an ISO.. But huh, WinRAR does not extract ISO's.. How funny is that?
Winrar extracts pretty much anything (zip, cab, ace, tar, gz, bz2) including ISO files
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
MaDsKiLLz
Linux User

Post by MaDsKiLLz »

n00b. learn about winrar and iso format before making a page long post
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

For the sake of this fucking kid who doesn't know how to use his computer to extract an ISO I'm going to teach him.

Fire up WinRar by double clicking on Friendtech.Media-Center.BETA4.rar

Select MCE.iso

Drag it to the folder you create, I called it FriendTech MCE and it will extract the ISO

Once extracted it will look like this in your folder...

Now open up Nero, not the smartstart crap, the main one and close the new compilation dialog when it fully opens... then click on Recorder and chose Burn Image

Now lets open the ISO we just extracted...

And it brings up a window like this...

Remember to burn at lowest speed dummie, xbox's can be iffy on certain media, also you might want to extract the bios and size it up to 512KB by using Xecuter 2 bios manager. Hope that helps you newbie, thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my time!
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

Make sure you use a CD-RW to burn on also as a CD-R will not work.
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.