Install on a PC?

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
miketowninc

Install on a PC?

Post by miketowninc »

Hi everybody!

I'm confussed with gentoox MCE. Is it only for Xbox or can it be installed on to a pc? I have dreamlinux which is debien based. Is there a way to install gentoox through apt-get?

thanks for any help!
miketowninc

Re: Install on a PC?

Post by miketowninc »

no body has an answer?

pretty weak...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

"install gentoox through apt-get". That's kinda like saying "is there a way to install linux through windows...

GentooX MCE isn't an application or suite of applications. It's an entire OS that has some media-related stuff pre-installed for you (such as mythtv, samba, etc). As such, you can't just install it over something, you need to use it as your OS. Also, since it's geared for XBox, it won't run on your PC.

However, like I said, MCE is just a collection of useful media-related apps that are installed over GentooX. The apps aren't GentooX specific (unless there's some small stuff that was written for it, I don't know) so you can install them on whatever OS you run. If you have debian, you can install mythtv and all it's bits and pieces with apt-get.

Not sure the exact contents of MCE or how it sets itself up, but you should be able to decently replicate it on another linux OS. I think you can even get drivers for the XBox controller and plug that in if you like.
miketowninc

Post by miketowninc »

Ok thanks

Good Answers. Thats what I need to know! :)