Need help, will not install

Talk about anything related to Gentoox MCE.
-Natas-
Novice

Need help, will not install

Post by -Natas- »

I've tried to install 4 times now and everytime it errors out. It starts just fine, but when it gets to the Copying..... '/mnt/temp/mce.tgz' -> '/mnt/boot/mce.tgz' it sits there for maybe 10 minutes then the light flashes red and the system halts.

Am I doing something wrong or something? I need some help here please.
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

That is the same thing that happened to me. I also noticed that when I turned my Xbox on that it was just flashing colors, like an error. The problem is, at least I think, the flashing failed. My X2 v2.3 Lite Plus only takes 512k BIOSes and for now it is only made to do a 256k.

So I reflashed my Xbox with the X2 4981.06 and then put the MCE install CD again, this time when it booted I picked Rescue. It finished installing and worked after that, but I had to leave that disc in there to boot.
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

You know you can take a 256k bios and double it into a 512k bios right? As for the lights that is the way Shallax has set them up in the bios as they do that when using Gentoox also. Looks pretty cool doesn't it? :)

I can only select install no matter what I do. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Guess I will go to the store tomorrow and get some brand new CD-RW's and try again even though the disc seems to have burnt fine and it was only it's second burn on. :?
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

-Natas- wrote:You know you can take a 256k bios and double it into a 512k bios right? As for the lights that is the way Shallax has set them up in the bios as they do that when using Gentoox also. Looks pretty cool doesn't it? :)

I can only select install no matter what I do. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Guess I will go to the store tomorrow and get some brand new CD-RW's and try again even though the disc seems to have burnt fine and it was only it's second burn on. :?
Ya, but I don't know how to make the 512k one. I did get it running and it does look promising, hopefully some of the problems will get worked out. The BIOS thing is not really a problem for me, I don't mind leaving the disc in the drive to boot it.

If it wants to compete with XBMC, it will need to have easier setup, especially the screen calibration and I could not get it to playback movies with 5.1 sound.
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

Well, I finally got it working. I just re-burnt the disc and it booted right up. It's installing GentooX now so I hope that it all goes smooth. :wink: