Native G install <137GB softmod (nkpatcher)

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Kali

Native G install <137GB softmod (nkpatcher)

Post by Kali »

Finally i have found a good solution to install gentoox on my 120GB

The tricks is to use a modded version of nkpatcher9/10 (lba48 support) and reduce the maximum size of drive F

Pre-requisite:
1) XBox with Hard-drive >8GB and <137GB
2) nkpatcher 9 or 10 source code ( an older post explain how it work http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=230608 )
3) nasm
4) xbedump

edit config.inc and replace
%define LBA48

; %define PARTITION_METHOD 0
%define PARTITION_METHOD 1
; %define PARTITION_METHOD 2
; %define PARTITION_METHOD 3

; %define IGNORE_HD_PARTITION_TABLE
with
%define LBA48

; %define PARTITION_METHOD 0
; %define PARTITION_METHOD 1
%define PARTITION_METHOD 2
; %define PARTITION_METHOD 3

; %define IGNORE_HD_PARTITION_TABLE
edit xa_lba48.asm and replace the fffffff value with desired maximum allocation address of F
cmp edx,0x0fffffff
jbe .create_partitions

.drive_larger_than_137gb:
cmp byte [xa_lba48_def_partition_method],DEF_PARTMETHOD_PART6_REST_OF_DRIVE
jz .create_partitions

mov ebx,0x0fffffff - XBOX_STANDARD_MAX_LBA
;; ebx holds part6 size (rest of space before 137gb)
on my 120GB i have cutted down to 0x0d59e6e0 (~110GB)
cmp edx,0x0d59e6e0
jbe .create_partitions

.drive_larger_than_137gb:
cmp byte [xa_lba48_def_partition_method],DEF_PARTMETHOD_PART6_REST_OF_DRIVE
jz .create_partitions

mov ebx,0x0d59e6e0 - XBOX_STANDARD_MAX_LBA
;; ebx holds part6 size (rest of space before 137gb)
compile nkpatcher with nasm
nasm -o nkpatcher.xbe xboxapp.asm

resigned with habibi key
xbedump.exe nkpatcher.xbe -habibi
renamed the out.xbe to default.xbe and uploaded to my xbox

after i followed the instruction posted by dito199 viewtopic.php?p=9614

the only change i have made here is replacing on make.partition.sh
START=268435456
with desired last allocation address of F +1 converted to decimal (0d59e6e0 + 1 = 223995617)
START=223995617
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Good work - you gave me an idea with my problem
dvanbrunt

How do the convertions work?

Post by dvanbrunt »

I'm a newbie to convertions of this type. How does one convert "0x0d59e6e0" to 110 GB? Is the first number hexidecimal? Even so I've searched for a convertor and none seem to do the trick.

Help?

Thanks,
Dan
dvanbrunt

What to do with the compiled default.xbe

Post by dvanbrunt »

What do you do with the default.xbe file once created? I have now made compiled the new one but am a bit lost as where to go from here to get it to repartition the drive.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

If you have a modchip, then you'll have to install a softmod and turn off your modchip to get nkpatcher to work. By default, nkpatcher is set to load C:\evoxdash.xbe, so make you have some sort of xbe file there or you'll get an error 21. Once that's done, format your F and G drives and if all is done properly, you'll have a G drive with a HDD less than 137GB. Then you can proceed to do a native G install of Gentoox.
dvanbrunt

Post by dvanbrunt »

Trevante wrote:If you have a modchip, then you'll have to install a softmod and turn off your modchip to get nkpatcher to work. By default, nkpatcher is set to load C:\evoxdash.xbe, so make you have some sort of xbe file there or you'll get an error 21. Once that's done, format your F and G drives and if all is done properly, you'll have a G drive with a HDD less than 137GB. Then you can proceed to do a native G install of Gentoox.
At the risk of sounding newb...could you go into a bit more detail as how to do a "softmod"? I have evolutionX installed as my dashboard right now I'm just hazy on the what "exactly" to do with the newly compiled default.xbe file.

Eg. How does it help me? If I'm booting into evoxdash.xbe then how does it know to use the default.xbe when creating partitions? Do I have to make changes to the evox.ini file? Maybe I have a gap somewhere in my understanding of how these #.xbe files work...if you have patience for it...it might even help if you briefly described what happens on boot between the default.xbe and evoxdash.xbe files.

Thanks for your help
Dan
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Go to the Xbox-scene forums and go to the XBE Exploits section. There's tons of info there on how to setup a softmod.
dvanbrunt

Can the softmod be removed after?

Post by dvanbrunt »

Can the softmod be removed after and just use the mod chip once the format of the HD is done? Like do I only have to softmod>format HD> remove softmod > HD is still Formated correctly? As I understand, softmoding will be detect when LIVE is used and I would be banned. But when I use my mod chip I can turn it off.

I'm still pretty hazy on this process even after reading xbox-scene forums. Can anyone point me in the direction of a best solution?
Telek
Linux User

Post by Telek »

If this has already been covered please forgive me.

Is there any way to do this with the Evox bios? I have a box setup nicely using a modchip and Evox, it'd be nice if I could just modify the bios somehow like mentioned to provide me a method for a native install with a 120GB hard drive.

Thanks.
StickyIckyBud
Novice

native G:

Post by StickyIckyBud »

did the change to START give you a valid install?

I'm doing a similar setup to what your accomplishing with nkpatcher using XBpartition - whos partition table is compatible with my X3 bios.

X3 Config Live, and XBMC both see the size of F: correctly - accurately scaled down by a few gig's for my G drive.

But gentoox won't boot. Its having problems mounting /dev/fatx.

I'm reinstalling now.... If the problem persists I'll be sure to post back with more details.

BAH!!! I have to backup my E drive - again!
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

partition problem persists

reference this thread
viewtopic.php?t=2254&highlight=

after I installed gentoox native g: - my bios and dashboards reverted to "F gets all" - but gentoox would boot wonderfully. I opened XBpartitioner and skimmed off a bit of F: so that my bios and dash wouldn't accidently write over linux - and now linux won't boot.

Its definately having problems mounting the /dev and /fatx - I could try get copy down everything on the screen if someone thinks it would help.

I have an X-DSL Live cd, maybe I could get in there and manually hex edit the partition headers? But I'm not exactly sure what device points where. Could stardust help?