Flashing Loader v5.0 killed my Xbox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
boltronics

Flashing Loader v5.0 killed my Xbox?

Post by boltronics »

I have an Aladdin Advance XT for my Xbox, which I purchased to help me install Gentoo(x). It comes with the EvoX BIOS. My Xbox appears to be either a 1.4 or 1.5 (Focus video), but I have no multimeter to be more accurate. I also installed a new 60Gb HDD, and is configured for the Xbox by having a basic EvolutionX dashboard installation which I intend to overwrite now anyway.

Reading the Gentoox website, I installed the newest BIOS available in hopes it would have the most known bug-fixes. I understand that the configuration file (which I assume is the grub.conf/lilo.conf equivilant) has changed drastically, but decided I know enough about Gentoo on a normal PC that I'd attempt to tackel this problem when I got to it, and assumed it would be possible to put in a Resctoox/Dynebolic disc and reflash with Loader 4.7 or whatever it was that comes with the Home Edition version 3.1. I expected that it would at least be able to boot an ordinary CD to some extent.

EvolutionX informed me that the flash was successful and I had to reset the Xbox, however now the machine doesn't appear to boot properly. I have the GentooX Loader (ROM) v5.0 screen appear, and I have O O O O blinking on the LED. More often than not, the bottom-half of the screen has disappeared (all black from just under the Gentoox logo).

I have attempted unplugging my keyboard, mouse and Xpad and rebooting. I have also attempted booting with just the Xpad in, in all four ports. No method made any difference.

I also noted that occasionally (maybe once in every 20 fresh boots), if I hit the right buttons on the Xpad continuously, I get a DVD and a penguin with a needle or something appear down the bottom, however none of these two options seem selectable. No amount of button-pressing will prevent either from being in a faded unselected state.

It doesn't matter what disc I put in, it wouldn't seem to boot it. Is it supposed to be automatic with this release, or is there a timeout of some sort? I've left the rescue disc in the drive (tried both inserting it, and booting the Xbox with it already inserted) for maybe 15 minutes which had no effect.

I even put in my original Xbox hard disk back in temporarily while keeping my fingers crossed. I don't know what I expected, but it made no difference.

For some reason, it seems my mod-chip is always on. I've tried booting my Xbox with a quick touch of the power button, a 2 second hold, a 5 second hold, etc. It always appears to activate no matter what I do. Is the enable/disable switch supposed to be built into the mod-chip itself, or is it only a function of the BIOS on the chip that somehow tells the mod-chip to disable and resets the Xbox? Whatever the answer is here, I can't seem to boot the original BIOS and hence can't do a thing with the box including any software exploits. I also don't have any soldering equipment and leave that job for the professionals, so just taking the mod-chip out or installing an external switch on it (if that's possible) to do some fancy hardware hack is out of the question for me.

I see my options as:
1. Buy a new mod-chip (have it installed to replace the existing one) and steer clear of Gentoox Loader until I fully understand what went wrong so as to not repeat my mistake.
2. Look into getting a programmer installed (assuming that is supported by my mod-chip, but I guess it is hence the black port thinggie on it). As I understand it, with this I can overwrite whatever BIOS I might have on the flash.
3. Remove existing mod-chip so my box should once again boot, and try the software exploit method. It may work now since I believe my Microsoft dashboard and kernel were downgraded when I performed a complete fresh install of EvolutionX.
4. Is it possible that linuxboot.cfg is expected to be in the new format on the CD, and hacking my ISO image or waiting until the next release will enable the disc to boot? I can't see this as likely however.

If there is anything at all I haven't thought of or misunderstood, or anyone has information to help be better understand what went wrong, please let me know. I'm also greatful for any links I might have missed that may seem relevant.
Last edited by boltronics on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm that seems very odd. The "blackness" you speak of is a known bug with the jpegdecompressor. I disabled the lockup that usually happens (it usually just says "Error decompress image" then freezes) so that it wouldnt cause TSOP'ers problems but I'm not sure why you cant select any icons. I tested every possibility with the loader time and time again and never got what you are describing. As for disabling your mod... youll have to read the manual for your modchip.

Its always risky being an early adopter and my rule of thumb is "Dont do something unless you can get out of it" - seems you dont have the option to get out of a mistake with your modchip.

Unfortunately, my suggestion is to get a better modchip (one with more BIOS banks) so that you can switch between multiple BIOSes. My personal suggestion would be to get a xenium from http://www.divineo.net.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems and please understand that it is not my intention to put users in a predicament such as yours.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
boltronics

Post by boltronics »

Thanks for that. Don't worry - I had already considered this risk before attempting a new BIOS anyway. :)

I have been looking into a new modchip now, since it appears the one I have can't be reprogrammed very easily or at all. I'll definitely consider a Xenium chip now, so thanks for your advice.

It's not too often to get tech support from the lead maintainer of a distribution, so I appreciate it. ;)