cant find answer to amsn prob???

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Ylanday69
Novice

cant find answer to amsn prob???

Post by Ylanday69 »

hi all, im new to the scene but im having trouble with chat clients i cant seem to connect to msn messenger, yahoo is fine. ive tried kopete gaim v0.70 and amsn v0.90 and it just wont connect. i tied checking the connection options and i dont have any internet/network probs. i have searched this forum other forums and all kinds of websites but i cant find anything that answers my guestion.
BoricAcid
Novice

Post by BoricAcid »

For gaim to support MSN correctly you need to update it. version 0.77 works fine.

as root:

Code: Select all

emerge -u gaim
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

yeah thx man ive already tried that and for some reason it comes up with 49 things just for one little app then it gets to abot 29 and i get an corrupt or incomplete file error
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Ylanday69 wrote:yeah thx man ive already tried that and for some reason it comes up with 49 things just for one little app then it gets to abot 29 and i get an corrupt or incomplete file error
More-p details?
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

yeah man, i'd say the error was my own fault, dial-up disconnected. although it usually resumes no prob, im just in the process of updating it again. this time there is 50 things, as in 1 0f 50 such and such whatever it is. if i get the error again i'll write it down. my main question is y does it take so much to update one little app? i mean 50 things to update just for one app. as far as i can tell, gaim isn't a major application there may be a few dependencies but 50 is beyond belief....???
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

the exact error i get with the emerge -u gaim command after about 10 packages is:
!!! ERROR: sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.8-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 83, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

the package file size was about 11 mb's if that helps
is there any other way to update just gaim without updating the whole system or so it seems ?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you don't have to do emerge -u gaim you can just emerge gaim

If you just do emerge gaim it will install the most recent version

When you do -u portage updates the program and all its dependencies.

If you do -uD portgae updates the program, its dependencies and the dependencies and the dependencies of the dependencies.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

yeah thx man ive already tried emerge gaim and i got errors i even tried with the accept keywords command and still didnt work. maybe its cos of the mess i already made so im gunna try with a fresh install and thats the last thing i can do. I've got the latest kopete and i dont see y it wont work either, i think its got somthing to do with ssl. i cant go to hotmail.com i cant get yahoo search results although google is fine. it seems really strange and im having alot of trouble, been doing alot of research and i cant find anything that helps me.