Problems booting Stardust

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rjbell4

Problems booting Stardust

Post by rjbell4 »

I've having trouble booting Stardust. I downloaded the ISO just the other day and used Nero to burn it to both the ISO to both an Acer CD-RW and a Ritek G05 DVD-R. I've installed an X-Chip, which I also just purchased. My Xbox appears to be a v1.0 series with a Thomson drive. I am currently running the "factory installed" Cromwell BIOS on my X-Chip.

When I power on my Xbox, I get the expected "X-Chip Cromwell BIOS V1.0" menu. I select "Continue Cromwell", and then choose to boot from the DVD (/dev/hdb). With the Acer CD-RW with the Stardust ISO image burned ("Disc-at-once" and finalized, btw), I get the message "Loading linuxboot.cfg from CDROM...", but then the error message "Unable to find it, halting".

If I try instead with the Ritek G05 (burned at 2X in my new NEC ND-2510A, btw), I get up to the image of Tux and the message "PCI: Failed to allocate resource 2(f8000000-f7ffffff) for 01:00.0", and then nothing -- the installation seems to hang. All I have is a blinking cursor. The yellow-orangish light around the power button is lit solid (i.e., not blinking).

Also, if I try to flash a BIOS bank from the Cromwell menu, the system does not appear able to read my d drive with the Acer CD-RW. With the Ritek G05 DVD-R, I'm able to flash a 256k bank with d:\BIOS\LOADER.BIN. However, if I attempt to chose "Switch to BIOS", my Xbox powers off and then appears to boot the normal dashboard, which then complains that it can't recognize the disc. (I'm guessing that means that it's unable to execute the LOADER.BIN BIOS and falls back on the system BIOS?)

Can anyone help? I've tried to be as thorough as possible (and post in the Newbie forum), but let me know if I forgot to mention something. Thanks in advance -- I'm really looking forward to getting Gentoo running on another one of my machines. :-)