Need a bit of advice.... bit n00bish but.....

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
keg188
Linux User

Need a bit of advice.... bit n00bish but.....

Post by keg188 »

I need to put together a media player that can play everything and browse the web and be easy to use and so on and so forth......

Its for my Farther and he wants it to do everything.

All i need to know is what is the minimum HD size i can squeez FMC onto? as he can run all the media from my file server so i dont need any real storage space..

And..

Is it easy to use? Cuz he is my dad but he isnt the sharpest tool in the box :lol:

I know a PC can do all this and i've built him one before, infact i've built him two. One went to my sister and the other is now a file server... "ITS GOT TO BE EASY" thats all i ever hear........ Dont help Family!!!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I think you can get away with around 15GB, maybe less I can't remember the exact size of the partitions MCE creates.

It may also be possible to use a stock drive if you edit the script to start the partitions at block 1. (you won't be able to use the box as an xbox after this)

Once setup and installed it's very easy to use with the remote
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

I've got a spare 15gb drive so at least hes got a bit of space for maybe ripping some cds or something..

But i was reading about using a USB TV tuner card and being able to record live tv strait to the HD, so i might put in an 80gb or a 120gb once i've tested it for ease of use.

Nobspangle can you tell me how to fit FMC on to a stock drive? so then i can test it on the old stock drive i pulled from my xbox a long time ago..
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

OK after checking through the forums i managed to mount the initrg file, find the script, edit the start block to 1 and then unmount the file again.

:) Not bad for a N00B :)

Now i need to re gzip the file (not got a clue how to do that).
Put it back in the ISO (dont know if its a standard ISO or XISO).
Burn to disk (i think i can manage that).
And test it on my old stock drive.

can anyone see where i might get into problems? and give me a bit of advice on my gzip and ISO issues?

Thanx
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

OK after checking through the forums i managed to mount the initrg file, find the script, edit the start block to 1 and then unmount the file again.

:) Not bad for a N00B :)

Now i need to re gzip the file (not got a clue how to do that).
Put it back in the ISO (dont know if its a standard ISO or XISO).
Burn to disk (i think i can manage that).
And test it on my old stock drive.

can anyone see where i might get into problems? and give me a bit of advice on my gzip and ISO issues?

Thanx
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

gziping is as easy as
gzip filename

ISO is UDF use an XISO creator or mkiso
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

i keep getting "THIS IS NOT A FRIENDTECK MEDIA CENTRE CD" message so i must have not put it all back together properly.

Can you help?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hehe, burn the CD as UDF. It looks for D:\mce.tgz to verify whether its an MCE cd or not (oh noes, I gave away my top secret ;)).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

I am still getting that error, so i must have messed up something.

i dont think its to do with the burn cuz i can browes the disk via the xbox side of things and i am booting from the disk to get the error message.
but i will try and burn it a few more times just in case.

Where could i be going wrong?

Remember i am a n00b and i only got this far by using bits of info and commands from other peoples problems. So chances are i f#@ed it up someware along the way.
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

I edited the file to install on G but got the same error code....
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

Ok i got 120gb drive today so im gunna stick MCE on my 80 before i take it out, just so i can see what im doing all this messing about for.

Back to our current problem :
What editor is best to use to edit the script? First i used Open Office but i realised that this may have left its own formating in the script so i did it again using Xedit, then Gzip, and then i burned it every way i could - i used Quix to make an Xiso from it *no joy*, i used Nero to make an ISO and then a UDF with xbox video disk compatability(setting in nero) *same error* and then standard UDF *would not even load*

plus after editing the initrd the file size has dropped by a bit, could this be the fault?

Come on guys give us a break.

What we need morph3usx is a tutorial.
Or just a list of what apps and what settings to use.
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

note pad is what I used to edit and I saw no file size change and still got the error "this isn't a MCE disk although it loaded from the disk....I even checked the initrd to see if my editing actually took...and they did!

As to why we are getting this message I have know Idea...in fact I have looked further into the initrd (practically read the entire thing) for any other clues and I couldn't make aout anything :evil:
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

It must be the way we are making the ISO or the way we are burning the disk.

I will try and redo it all again tomorrow (i think i'll try notepad this time aswell, but i think the reason i get a size decrease is that i am setting the start block to 1)

I would like to get this done tonight but i've got to transfur 80gb of crap over to my new drive (may take a bit even with avalaunch).
If you get any further let me know. I keep scanning this forum all day.