Few thoughts, first Impressions

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
lotw
Pro

Few thoughts, first Impressions

Post by lotw »

1. No easy screen calibration to fix the overscan.
2. Cannot pick which audio to use when playing back a movie.
3. Needs BIOS size choices, like Home and Pro of Gentoox has.
4. Also the skin choice doesn't always stay, when you reboot it is back at the previous one.

Seems like it is off to a good start and hopefully will get better as time goes on.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) I accept that its not stupidly easy to set the resolution, but it works.
2) You can now do this in v1.0-RC0
3) v1.0-RC0 automatically detects the correct size, when in doubt it will go for 1024k which will still flash into a 256k/512k bank.
4) To be honest, I've never tried this... how did you reboot? By pressing "Shut down"?
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

ShALLaX wrote:1) I accept that its not stupidly easy to set the resolution, but it works.
2) You can now do this in v1.0-RC0
3) v1.0-RC0 automatically detects the correct size, when in doubt it will go for 1024k which will still flash into a 256k/512k bank.
4) To be honest, I've never tried this... how did you reboot? By pressing "Shut down"?
1. I have tried all the settings in the MCE section and no way to fix overscan, none work. Maybe you should until you get an easy way to fix the overscan put up a tutorial for doing it manually in MCE. Even during install you cannot read most of the information and questions due to overscan. You have to remember if it isn't easy then for a pre-installed media center or media center app it will not be taken well. Even the XBMC writters know that the overscan is a major problem and they addressed it.

2 & 3. I am testing out v1.0-RC0 now.

4. Yes I pressed shut down, I just don't turn off the Console when running Linux.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont have any such overscan issues while installing or while running ... what version Xbox do you have? If its a 1.6, then these are 100% unsupported.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Overscan doesn't need to be considered on a media player. Provided the gui is not off the screen overscan should be encouraged. All video is shot with a "safe zone" no action happens out side of this area and the image is designed to overlap the edges of the screen to combat the problems caused by CRT distortion.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

ShALLaX wrote:I dont have any such overscan issues while installing or while running ... what version Xbox do you have? If its a 1.6, then these are 100% unsupported.
I have a v1.0 Launch Xbox put on Projection TVs there is always an overscan issue.
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

nobspangle wrote:Overscan doesn't need to be considered on a media player. Provided the gui is not off the screen overscan should be encouraged. All video is shot with a "safe zone" no action happens out side of this area and the image is designed to overlap the edges of the screen to combat the problems caused by CRT distortion.
Too bad that if you use the weather or other option the are missing a lot of the text at top, left, right, bottom. I have tried playing with the size and offsets but the size makes it smaller, but the offset does nothing....
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Overscan can only be compensated for with composite... im not sure what projection uses.... besides, i thought using the Xbox on projection screens damaged them?