Xbox shuts down unexpectedly

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
Kudos

Xbox shuts down unexpectedly

Post by Kudos »

My xbox (focus chip) has for some reason started shutting down when i try to start gentoox.
This happens after the first reboot of a clean install, the fan goes up to full spin and the xbox shuts down.
The strange thing is that it went fine for a week and suddenly this started happening and i've reinstalled it numerous times.
Any help would be much appreciated as i've just started get to grips with linux.

/kudos
Kudos

Post by Kudos »

If anyone is interested I have discovered that the problem is resolved by unplugging the xbox, i haven't tested it yet but i have a hunch the problem was to do with a corrupt system time (the year 8097).

/kudos
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

No, the problem is you are using an old version of Gentoox Loader which has an i2c trampling bug. Make sure you get the latest version from the website! :)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Kudos

Post by Kudos »

bdonkey
Linux User

Post by bdonkey »

I have this same problem, even with the newest loader, that I downloaded direct from the site.

I have the HDTV pack, and I think that's causing the problem. If I disable HDTV modes in the dashboard, the loader works. If I have HDTV modes enabled, this problem happens.

Any fixes? Thanks.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Theres your fix then ;p Some boxes dont support HDTV in cromwell.
main_thread

HDTV on certain XBoxes...

Post by main_thread »

ShALLaX wrote:Theres your fix then ;p Some boxes dont support HDTV in cromwell.
Well, to be honest, this is not a fix, its not even a workaround... :roll: Is there anything else to try before uninstalling gentooX :?:

/Fred
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

To be fair it is a workaround, you said it works if you disable HDTV in your dash, that sounds like a workaround to me.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
main_thread

HDTV not working on some xboxes...

Post by main_thread »

Hi
Don't get me wrong, of cource your'e right about it beeing a workaround getting gentoox to boot, but you still end up with a 'low' resolution and somewhat blurry picture. This is quite hard to accept if you want to run it on your not so cheap plasma screen that usually present a fine picture:-)

Im using a very early pal xbox, probably a 1.0 box (bought on the first day of sale in Stockholm, Sweden), with a M$ original HDTV Kit. Is this problem related to the version of the box, which box version would work in that case?

Regards
Fred
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Its a problem related to there being only about 3-4 active devs for Xbox-Linux with no funding and working in their own time... ;o