Native Gentoox on F:\ - Xbox data on G:\ ??????

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
keg188
Linux User

Native Gentoox on F:\ - Xbox data on G:\ ??????

Post by keg188 »

Whould it be possable to have a native install of Gentoox via the bios loader on my F: drive and have all my games and apps on G: ??

I've got:
A Smartxx modchip.
Avalaunch as a dash.
80gb HD. :oops:

I can probably reformat my drive to give me 4 Gb as F: and the rest as G: for my Xbox stuff

Will this be possable? and if so what problems am i going to encounter?
lotw
Pro

Re: Native Gentoox on F:\ - Xbox data on G:\ ??????

Post by lotw »

keg188 wrote:Whould it be possable to have a native install of Gentoox via the bios loader on my F: drive and have all my games and apps on G: ??

I've got:
A Smartxx modchip.
Avalaunch as a dash.
80gb HD. :oops:

I can probably reformat my drive to give me 4 Gb as F: and the rest as G: for my Xbox stuff

Will this be possable? and if so what problems am i going to encounter?
It is possible, but you will not be able to use the Gentoox BIOS or you will have to switch banks for the non-Gentoox stuff.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Generally speaking that's a no, however:

If you can make the xbox have a 4GB F and use the rest of the space as G I'll be very impressed and I might even tell you how to make gentoox only use that 4GB native.

Problem is you will have to edit your hacked illegal bios to alter the partition table and I'm not sure how possible that is.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

I can't believe its that hard to repartition the drive, i had seen that Xbpartitioner on the news page of xbox-scene and just assumed that it whould be is it is with PC based systems.

Oh well i just installed Gentoox Home last night and i was well impressed.
Now i need to learn Linux. Good job i can use the web browser to check all these nice tutorials to help.

I just need to know of a good project (putting on some apps or games or something) that will teach me the most.

Any ideas????
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

Just checking but if i was able to edit my hacked illegal bios to alter the partition table, would i need to edit the linux bios aswell or will Gentoox adapt to the partition table as it is loaded?

if it will i may just look into this.
keg188
Linux User

Post by keg188 »

I think i found a way of getting a 4gb F: drive using xbpartitioner 0.6 :D

http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1056.nfo

It states that you can have custom partition sizes of partitions 6-14

I think Partition 6 is F:, so i could have 4gb F: and the rest on G:

I will test this weekend and if it works could you help me install Gentoox in Native mode on my 4gb F:
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The basic idea is this, create an hda1 partition at the F drive startpoint 256MB for swap, then after that create a second partition hda2 3768MB up to your 4GB partition boundary, format as reiserfs. Copy the contents of your rootfs partition into the new partition. Edit fstab and linuxrc and you should be off. I'm not sure if gentoo will be able to access the G drive though without editing the kernel/cromwell.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?