how to get MCE working?

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
evil_marty

how to get MCE working?

Post by evil_marty »

hi,

I'm trying to install MCE on my xbox [PAL, 120GB, X2 PRO Mod]. I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a cd (my xbox has a thompson DVD Drive) and it boots up to a prompt where I can only select "CD Installer", so I click it and the setup ejects the CD and asks for the MCE CD, I just re-insert it and procedes to install. I am aware it will format my F drive but I don't really mind. So the set up says its formating the partition and says its completed successfully then extracts the files to it, takes a while then says error and goes to system halt. When I reboot, my F drive is unchanged (still has all my files and apps etc there). I extracted the BIOS on the CD and flashed it manually to my mod and tried it again, same deal. Any idea as to why this is? Thanks.
lotw
Pro

Re: how to get MCE working?

Post by lotw »

evil_marty wrote:hi,

I'm trying to install MCE on my xbox [PAL, 120GB, X2 PRO Mod]. I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a cd (my xbox has a thompson DVD Drive) and it boots up to a prompt where I can only select "CD Installer", so I click it and the setup ejects the CD and asks for the MCE CD, I just re-insert it and procedes to install. I am aware it will format my F drive but I don't really mind. So the set up says its formating the partition and says its completed successfully then extracts the files to it, takes a while then says error and goes to system halt. When I reboot, my F drive is unchanged (still has all my files and apps etc there). I extracted the BIOS on the CD and flashed it manually to my mod and tried it again, same deal. Any idea as to why this is? Thanks.
Sounds like your Thomson drive is not reading the disc all the way. Probably getting a bad sector or something.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

because of the way the xbox partitions work, you can format them as linux partitions without deleting any of the data that was there originally. It will just get wiped eventually by being overwritten.

On the subject of the error, does it give any more info about what the error is?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
evil_marty

Post by evil_marty »

I dunno, don't think I had a problem with the drive etc, I put the cd in my computer and opened the the tarball and it opened just fine no errors. It doesn't say what the error was, just that it could not extract the base package. Don't think the cd is stuffed but I will try burn a new one and see.
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

I had problems as well as it keep telling me that it had a problem unpacking the base package. I just burnt it on a fresh CD-RW and it fixed that problem.
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
evil_marty

Post by evil_marty »

yay got it working, was just a bad burn. So far so good. Is it possible for MCE to access media off my computer through SMB?
Ticko

Post by Ticko »

Hi!
evil_marty wrote:Is it possible for MCE to access media off my computer through SMB?
Yes, it says so in the Friendtech Media Center.txt
evil_marty wrote: I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a cd (my xbox has a thompson DVD Drive) and it boots up to a prompt where I can only select "CD Installer", so I click it and the setup ejects the CD and asks for the MCE CD, I just re-insert it and procedes to install. I am aware it will format my F drive but I don't really mind. So the set up says its formating the partition and says its completed successfully then extracts the files to it, takes a while then says error and goes to system halt. When I reboot, my F drive is unchanged (still has all my files and apps etc there)
I have the same problem and a Samsung drive.
Can anyone explain how and what software to use(Nero?Primo?..) to get a correct cd?
Ticko

Post by Ticko »

Ok, just found this! http://www.xboxrepairguide.com/FriendMC ... _stepa.htm
This is the real thread: viewtopic.php?t=1798

Thanks to you all, hopefully it will work now.
Ticko

Post by Ticko »

Well, it still dont work.
Even if i burn like the tutorial.
kornyman
Linux User

Post by kornyman »

Hi Ticko!
I had this problem too, but after the new version of MCE it funzt.
I burned it on a normal fresh cd-r because i haven't had a new cd-rw.
Cd-r is in my Philips no problem.
Burn like the tutorial and install mce only without gentoox.
Ticko

Post by Ticko »

Ok, thanks for answering.
My friend got it to work and said that it is supposed to eject the drive after inserted it the first time.
So it will work.
Just have to buy an xtra hd