Complete newbie, damn I hate that feeling!

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
sosuke

Complete newbie, damn I hate that feeling!

Post by sosuke »

Alright, so I havent really looked into anything like this, at all!
I'm not completely sure what Gentoox is even ...

So, my F: drive gets formatted, no more HDD Xbox backups, and no more Xbox third party apps?

Can I still play my DVD backups?

Is this system easy to upgrade to the latest build?

What A/V Codecs are supported?

I have been using XBMP/XBMC forever and have had several complains about it, but its been all there is, and it lets me use my burned videos!

When can we get some specs on the difference between 'Home' and 'Pro'?

Will the interface be skinnable?

Is a native linux format drive really that much faster? Will the average joe notice it?

Does it work with the Xbit?

Does is support the UDF/ISO, UDF, and ISO discs?

Will I have to mount and unmount my drive everytime I change a disc?!

Otherwise I am completely ready! This plus http://projectdeck.xbox-scene.com would completely rock!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) Yes, F goes... you _can_ still play backups, but that requires an illegal bios so wont be discussed here.
2) Easy to upgrade - put the new cd in, click the "CD Installer" icon and you're away.
3) All popular codec, DivX, Xvid.. mpg, avi, wmv, mp3, ogg, FLAC...
4) Gentoox has been around for a year.. if you dont know the specs by now, youre not looking ;p (see the version link on the website)
5) Yes, it will be skinnable
6) Native is noticeably faster
7) Xbit.. no idea. Find out if its raincoat flashable for me.
8) Yes, i believe so since i compiled support into the kernel
9) No, unmounting is automagical
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
sosuke

Post by sosuke »

i love that command name you used: magic
and i ment dvd backups, not hdd backups
CyKiller

Post by CyKiller »

sosuke that depends on your bios, MCE autoflashes the bank it was booted on with Cromwell but if you have a bios selectable chip (raincoat flashable) you can have another bios in a different back to use for your hacked (ILLEGAL) bios which will boot your backup. Please see xbox-scene forums for more information as this is not a target for our software.

CyKiller
xboxboy

another partition...

Post by xboxboy »

Why no LBA48 support in the BIOS? This way you could pick a F: or G:...and people can do whatever they want with the two partitions...
say, a Home and a Pro partition perhaps...

It would be way cool if cromwell had LBA48 and the BIOS automounted the proper Linux partition at boot.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It does have LBA48, it was my decision to make everything from F: onwards Linux native to avoid piracy.
sosuke

Post by sosuke »

do you know what size bank cromwell needs? cause then this is the solution for me!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

256k, but you can double it up
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

ShALLaX wrote:It does have LBA48, it was my decision to make everything from F: onwards Linux native to avoid piracy.
That will have no effect on piracy at all. People are going to do it if they want to. But stopping one type by adding two more isn't a real answer to the problem. Ya, they cannot use pirated Xbox games, but now they can do movies and music.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

And thats down to the user. The fact is, F: can ONLY be used to backup/ pirate games and even backing up games is illegal in the UK. MCE can ONLY be used to store movies.. which may be home movies which isnt illegal.
wildczn

Post by wildczn »

Well just read the few last message and i really don't think making all that only for F: will stop pepeol to copy anything ! and BTW it's not because pepeol modify the XBOX like me for MAINLY emulation stuff that's mean
PIRACY and yesss i use to copy my original game to my F: and i'm really happy to doing that cause it's the only way for me to preserv my original disk against my kids finger print and or scratch! this don't mean i'm using it for PIRACY! but we do admit that using this way is a lot bright when you have 5 kids between 4 to 16 years beleive me original disk before installation of the MOD was terrible i have buy 2 version of HALO the first one simply stock on boot cause of the scratch on disk! now all my disk looking like really news and untouchable the value is better if i want to sale them or exchange for new one!

Now please consider giving choice for using G partion because i would like to use linux on the XBOX to give chance to kids to use the xbox for what they could be made for INTERACTIV media machine and cool console!

Linux stuff on G partition is the best solution for evryone but if you think i'm not right in my comment simply forget what i wrote but i'm sure many pepeol will agre that having the choice to install on F: or G: is the best solution for all .....

Please keep the console free of choice don't make like MICROSOFT!
Do not put limitation OPEN the (bill) gate for a better choice
Stop the limit! That is already set by M$

Open the CHOICE this is a PC remind it! so let us use it as a PC and giving us CHOICE to select what we want to do with our PC

Thank You!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I stopped reading after about the 10th word. Sorry, aint gonna happen.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

wildczn wrote:Open the CHOICE this is a PC remind it! so let us use it as a PC and giving us CHOICE to select what we want to do with our PC
You have the choice to do what ever you want with your xbox. Shallax and Friendtech give you one way of doing things. If you don't want to do it that way, learn how to do it your own way.

Linux and opensource software was created for just that reason, so that you are free to do what you want with the software. Not so that everybody can sponge free software off of the back of other peoples work.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Amen to that! To rehash what nobspangle just said... Opensource isnt about demanding what you want... its about taking what you're given and making it into what you want.
wildczn

Post by wildczn »

Seriously...... Is there anything to reply when i see that kind of reaction?

. . . THE END