Error writing to E

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
xblurone

Error writing to E

Post by xblurone »

Hi,

I am new to Gentoox (but not to Gentoo). I figured after reading the install.txt it would be a breeze to install the Shallax.Home edition 3.0c on my Xenium (OS 2.0) modified Xbox using the Cromwell bios.

Alas, after I successfully did the tests with the controller (nice one :-) and selected that I wanted to install GentooX on drive F (not native) off it went, however after about 30 seconds I get the error writing to E and that was it. Have to switch off...

I have plenty of space on E as required in the install.txt and F as well... What could be the problem? Could it be it can't read my CD drive, or something went wrong there, or do I need to unlock my drive ?

I can't find anything about this error anywhere (google is otherwise soo helpful)

Hope somebody here can help me.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

What size HDD, i dont think youll have any luck with drives over 137gb (and it seems drives of 120gb) :\
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
xblurone

120Gb

Post by xblurone »

It's a 120Gb harddisk with plenty of space on F and E... I tried it again though and I get a different error...

* Formatting filesystems [ok]
* Mounting filesystems... [ok]

Error writing to installation device

then... clear screen...

An error occurred, halting
[Error writing to E partition]
blah blah
System Halted

I'd like to try it manually. Is there a walk-through somewhere? Tried even to ssh in but it doesn't seem to work either.... the error message using ssh is that the ciphers are incompatible... Do I need to use ssh-1 or ssh-2 ?
xblurone

Post by xblurone »

sorry, it's

error writing to install device during testing filesystems...

after which the other error comes out...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Try E:
xblurone

Post by xblurone »

:? Yep, E: works like a charm, but I want it on F:. How do I now migrate it to F: ?

Do I just do the magic f: thingy, or would I experience the same problems again ?

One note though. The first time I tried to install on E: (I accidentally booted with Xecuter bios) the screen went blank after a while but the box showed busy, and after almost 2 hours still busy so I thought it hung, because moving the Xpad didn't bring back the screen...
The second time I booted with Cromwell and the screensaver recovery did work... Problem is that my original Xpad doesn't always get recoqnised although it vibrates on startup...

Maybe a question to add to the FAQ. How long typically does it take for GentooX to install? (I don't know, I slept 8) )
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hehee, someone needs to read old news archives! You need to update Gentoox loader to fix the usb issues (i.e. sporadic xpad functionality).
xblurone

OK

Post by xblurone »

Caught me there :-p regarding usb... But maybe you could still answer the other questions that I had, unless I overlooked the obvious :-)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Regarding moving stuff over to F:. If it didnt work by installing via sparkle, it wont work on F: at all. You could try "magic f-drive" but dont hold high hopes and if it goes wrong, expect it to go horribly wrong.
xboxhacker_uk

Post by xboxhacker_uk »

I'm having the same sort of thing. I really want to give linux a fair amountof my hard drive so I can actually use it as a full OS. I am quite experienced with xbox modding but not so much with linux so any help would be appreciated. Is there no way of getting linux onto the F: drive with a large hard drive (I have a 250gb by the way). If not does anyone know a way of resizing the F: partition. I have installed linux natively on here and it works (although it took about 6 hours to install). The thing is linux now has 110Gb of my hard drive space and I would really only ever need 40gb for it so the rest is wasted. What I wanted to do was resize F to 40gb and assign G: more. If this is not possible I would just appreciate anyone telling me any way of getting it on F: Thanks.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Try booting with an official version of cromwell and let me know if an F: installation works. Thanks!
gentlemanRT

Post by gentlemanRT »

I´m using Cromwell 2.31 and have the same problem i can not install to F. i have logged in using SSH and if check the mounts i see /mnt/f is mounted as ro (read only). I think thats the problem! drive /mnt/e is mounted as rw (read write) so drive e installation works.
do know how to fix?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Could you try installing Pro to F: and let me know how it goes? Thanks!
gentlemanRT

Post by gentlemanRT »

it simply does not work with 1.3 PRO to install to F
shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

has anyone else has sucess with this ? gentoox is really cool, but it's useless to me if i can't get it on my f: partition.

I've been installing it by extracting the distro file and ftp'ing the files to my e:

but magic f-drive does not work.

at first it cannot write or over write the files on e:

then it says its going to override 7755 or something, i'm guessing it's changing the file permissions.

then it boots up, and i run magic f-drive to finish up. but it says f: is already the main boot.

so i reset and it can't find the files it needs... and it says it can't create loop and its trying to mount rootfs of the cdrom or somthing.

the a init crash kerna thing

ugh

the funny thing is rootfs is gone of e:, but the space is still taken off. i will re-format e: and try with the cd booting with crowell.

the thing is i want to move my game saves mp3's and music mixer tracks back to e:

they are almost 3 gigs worth, and gentoox and my other Xbox files can fit together :(

my drive is 160....